Switching oils? Conventional to synthetic. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-15-2012, 07:27 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Switching oils? Conventional to synthetic.

I was wondering if I could switch oils from conventional to synthetic? I heard about seals going bad if you do it. It is a 87 gt with 110,000 miles on it. It has had conventional run in it all its life. What would be the best oil and filter to use? Is there any additives I should be adding?
DerekJohnScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 07:46 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I've always heard that if you switch to synthetics, not to switch back to conventional. I switched my coupe to synthetic and haven't had any problem with seals or anything. I use Mobil 1 and Motorctaft filter.

---------- Post added at 08:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 AM ----------

Also did the same in my wife's V6 SN-95 without troubles.
91notchback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:53 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91notchback
I've always heard that if you switch to synthetics, not to switch back to conventional. I switched my coupe to synthetic and haven't had any problem with seals or anything. I use Mobil 1 and Motorctaft filter.

---------- Post added at 08:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 AM ----------

+1 it's fine just don't go back to conventional once you go to synthetic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 07:56 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

So there are no problems going from conventional to synthetic, but you can't switch back?

---------- Post added at 08:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:54 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJstanger

+1 it's fine just don't go back to conventional once you go to synthetic
Why not? Just wondering.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:11 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

That's the way I understand it. I'm sure it has somethin to do with the synthetic oil being a much "cleaner" lubricant. Your internals prolly get used to it and switching back to the "dirtier" conventional will cause issues. Not researched or anything, just what makes sense in my head...lol!
91notchback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:32 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That's the way I understand it. I'm sure it has somethin to do with the synthetic oil being a much "cleaner" lubricant. Your internals prolly get used to it and switching back to the "dirtier" conventional will cause issues. Not researched or anything, just what makes sense in my head...lol!
I'm sure someone here will chime in and give the exact reason...I have just always been taught and told that once you go synthetic, you don't go back.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:15 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Straight from the horse's mouth:

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...Motor_Oil.aspx

Since my link was screwy from my phone:

Synthetic oils will provide better protection than conventional oils, but switching back and forth between full synthetic and conventional oil will not damage the engine. Of course, this depends on the current engine condition and the quality of the conventional oil being used.
thejohncarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:18 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
should be fine, but if its 110k and doing fine, why change it up?
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:25 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
should be fine, but if its 110k and doing fine, why change it up?
Well I just want to run the best. I always heard that synthetic royal purple is best. It isn't a high performance yet.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:04 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
What's the best oil for a motor that sits more then driven?
WhiteCobra94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:07 PM   #11
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
i have seen some comparison/torure tests with someing like 5 or 10 top oils and believe it or not royal purple came in last. keep in mind though, this test was the best oils. so it wasnt compared to any type of cheap oils.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:13 PM   #12
Road Trip!

it was a long time ago when i read what i was referring to. i didnt read this whole articl but this maybe similar.
http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30483
Old 11-15-2012, 08:17 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang
i have seen some comparison/torure tests with someing like 5 or 10 top oils and believe it or not royal purple came in last. keep in mind though, this test was the best oils. so it wasnt compared to any type of cheap oils.
What's number one?
Old 11-15-2012, 08:19 PM   #14
Road Trip!

checkout the link i posted.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:22 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
it was a long time ago when i read what i was referring to. i didnt read this whole articl but this maybe similar.
That's a good article. It really tells you what's what.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:56 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
If the engine are not making any noises go synthetic and Motorcraft filter. For the additive you can use ether prolong or Zmax. Both are good additives.
Don Tito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:08 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Well first thing u have to do before using syn oil is use syn blend three times , break in... Then use full syn oil that's why there is blend and full syn oils u can go back to con oil but u have to do a full engine flush too much work just to do that so make sure that's what u want to do btw I use Valvoline VR1 20-50 con but it's also made in syn 5-10 -10-40.
Tork6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:00 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tork6
Well first thing u have to do before using syn oil is use syn blend three times , break in... Then use full syn oil that's why there is blend and full syn oils u can go back to con oil but u have to do a full engine flush too much work just to do that so make sure that's what u want to do btw I use Valvoline VR1 20-50 con but it's also made in syn 5-10 -10-40.
I didn't know about using the blend.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:15 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekJohnScott

I didn't know about using the blend.
Same here..pretty sure my car ran conventional till I got the car at 103k, switched to syn, 2 oil changes 10k miles later and everything seems fine, no leaks or nothing
Old 11-23-2012, 08:48 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
You can switch right over to full synthetics!.. You don't need to do a blend first!.. That is just total crap!.. The main difference between a petroleum based (conventional oil), and a full synthetic is that the synthetic simply lasts longer!.. You can switch back and forth between the two, so long as you keep in mind witch one your currently running and how long it's been in there!..

As for a car that sits more than being driven, I personally would use a full synthetic over conventional!.. Because conventional will still breakdown over time just sitting there!..

---------- Post added at 09:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tork6
The reason why there are blends, is for bit of a Happy Medium, between the two!.. It has nothing to do with switching over to a Full Synthetic!..
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:45 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner
You can switch right over to full synthetics!.. You don't need to do a blend first!.. That is just total crap!.. The main difference between a petroleum based (conventional oil), and a full synthetic is that the synthetic simply lasts longer!.. You can switch back and forth between the two, so long as you keep in mind witch one your currently running and how long it's been in there!..

As for a car that sits more than being driven, I personally would use a full synthetic over conventional!.. Because conventional will still breakdown over time just sitting there!..

---------- Post added at 09:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 AM ----------

The reason why there are blends, is for bit of a Happy Medium, between the two!.. It has nothing to do with switching over to a Full Synthetic!..
The car is driven everyday so I think I will put synthetic in it next.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:47 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekJohnScott

The car is driven everyday so I think I will put synthetic in it next.
Good!.. Personally I think I've actually saved some by using Full Synthetics and mine is a DD year round!..
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:50 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner

^^This guy loves exclamation points!
rwsmith3623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:05 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
I may have miss it, but does it say in the test how much force was applied to the spinning ring? I have done the same test with a similar machine and my outcome is much different. I can also calculate the amount of force being applied to the spinning ring.
belpreboss2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT