Supercharger vs. Turbo - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-21-2012, 11:07 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Supercharger vs. Turbo

I am finally under way on rebuilding my 94' GT. I really want to supercharge it, but since I will have to run a centrifugal due to the intake manifold, I wanted to know if it would be better to just go with a big turbo. What do you guys suggest?
IIAMSTARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 11:10 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by IIAMSTARK View Post
I am finally under way on rebuilding my 94' GT. I really want to supercharge it, but since I will have to run a centrifugal due to the intake manifold, I wanted to know if it would be better to just go with a big turbo. What do you guys suggest?
This completely depends on what your looking for as far as peek HP/TQ and where you want it on the curve. What gearing do you have in the rear? What kind of money are you looking to spend. Give us something to go off of, and good luck with the rebuild, Im almost done with mine!
Billymich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:28 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billymich

This completely depends on what your looking for as far as peek HP/TQ and where you want it on the curve. What gearing do you have in the rear? What kind of money are you looking to spend. Give us something to go off of, and good luck with the rebuild, Im almost done with mine!
I am running 3.73 at the moment, but I am considering changing to 4.10's. I am wanting more acceleration over top speed but as far as the HP/TQ I am not really concerned with the numbers I put out. I am just more concerned about performance. As far as price goes I am looking for around $3,500 but I know a guy who sells superchargers, so I can get a deal on one if I decide to go with a supercharger. He can tune it as well.

---------- Post added at 12:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 PM ----------

Quote:

Also, awesome on getting close to finishing your project. Being 17, I have alot of friends who have had their parents buy them cars, but I am building mine and paying for all of if myself, so I am just ready to get it finished so I can proudly use the term, "Built not Bought"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 01:41 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIAMSTARK View Post
Also, awesome on getting close to finishing your project. Being 17, I have alot of friends who have had their parents buy them cars, but I am building mine and paying for all of if myself, so I am just ready to get it finished so I can proudly use the term, "Built not Bought"
Yeah Im 20 and I bough my first car like 6 months ago, 1997 328i Black on black fully loaded, I was in love. Sadly I rolled her over and then I got ripped off on this 5.0 it was a pile of **** when i bought it. But my mechanic gave it me a go ahead on it so i overpaid and realized how bad it was. So to say the least ive been getting my hands dirty and my wallet empty lol. I would say DO NOT switch to 4.10 rear end, I have it and its alright... but if your going Forced induction first gear will be unusable. Stay at the gearing you have as for pure perfomance, obviously a turbo would be your best bet for high RPM power but they are more pricey and more complicated (usually) depending on the type of supercharger your looking at a LOT of power off the line but less power higher in your rev range.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:47 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Are you running aftermarket H/C/I ?? If not I would say save up for a better flowing top end, then if you still want to go forced induction, that being said a turbo kickin on feels great in a 4cylinder, I cant imagine what it feels like on a ford small block v8 so it really all depends on the "feel" of what you want your car to end up as, I had always driven small displacement tuners, 1.8t jetta, Imprezas, my Bimmer etc. So I wanted to try something new with the stang. Try driving a forced induction stang first if you can find one thats your best bet.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:15 PM   #6
Road Trip!

Hands down turbo, and don't install the 410 gear.
JayKranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:04 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKranz
Hands down turbo, and don't install the 410 gear.
No love at all for the superchargers?
rwsmith3623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:05 PM   #8
Road Trip!

Haha, sure but when when my turbo spools the sound just makes me smile
Old 11-21-2012, 09:05 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIAMSTARK
Just remember man bigger isn't always better, especially with turbos. Choose the turbo that'll fit your setup best.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:07 PM   #10
Road Trip!

A 67mm turbo makes more than enough power to split your block.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:09 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
They do sound sick, but ill always be biased towards sc setups. I would like to someday build another fox with a turbo setup though.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:11 PM   #12
Road Trip!

Just personal preference. I don't think one is truly better.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:34 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yeah Im 20 and I bough my first car like 6 months ago, 1997 328i Black on black fully loaded, I was in love. Sadly I rolled her over and then I got ripped off on this 5.0 it was a pile of **** when i bought it. But my mechanic gave it me a go ahead on it so i overpaid and realized how bad it was. So to say the least ive been getting my hands dirty and my wallet empty lol. I would say DO NOT switch to 4.10 rear end, I have it and its alright... but if your going Forced induction first gear will be unusable. Stay at the gearing you have as for pure perfomance, obviously a turbo would be your best bet for high RPM power but they are more pricey and more complicated (usually) depending on the type of supercharger your looking at a LOT of power off the line but less power higher in your rev range.
I am looking at a Vortech V-4 or V-3.

---------- Post added at 10:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 PM ----------

Quote:
I personally like the sound superchargers make. But I agree, turbos make a distinct sound that is music to any motorhead's ears.

---------- Post added at 10:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 PM ----------

Quote:
Are you running aftermarket H/C/I ?? If not I would say save up for a better flowing top end, then if you still want to go forced induction, that being said a turbo kickin on feels great in a 4cylinder, I cant imagine what it feels like on a ford small block v8 so it really all depends on the "feel" of what you want your car to end up as, I had always driven small displacement tuners, 1.8t jetta, Imprezas, my Bimmer etc. So I wanted to try something new with the stang. Try driving a forced induction stang first if you can find one thats your best bet.
I have a buddy with a centrifugally supercharged terminator.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:52 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Turbo makes more power sounds better and more efficient get a on3 kit and get a better turbo ( not from them $
Old 11-22-2012, 08:18 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2300turboford
Turbo makes more power sounds better and more efficient get a on3 kit and get a better turbo ( not from them $
These are your opinions.

---------- Post added at 09:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIAMSTARK

I am looking at a Vortech V-4 or V-3.

---------- Post added at 10:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 PM ----------

I personally like the sound superchargers make. But I agree, turbos make a distinct sound that is music to any motorhead's ears.

---------- Post added at 10:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 PM ----------

I have a buddy with a centrifugally supercharged terminator.
I have a v4 setup.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:18 AM   #16
Road Trip!

Agreed, also quality of parts make a huge difference well.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:57 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I always though supercharges gave you added power right away, and turbos gave you power after the rpms are up.
DerekJohnScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:01 AM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekJohnScott
I always though supercharges gave you added power right away, and turbos gave you power after the rpms are up.
You can do a zero lag turbo setup.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:43 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn

What do you have to do differently to have zero lag?

---------- Post added at 05:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:42 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn

And wouldn't that pretty much make it a supercharger?
Old 11-27-2012, 04:45 PM   #20
Road Trip!

If you size the turbo properly for your engine and street use you will just end up with no lag. To your second question no. Turbo runs off of exhaust supercharger off of a belt.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:44 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKranz View Post
If you size the turbo properly for your engine and street use you will just end up with no lag. To your second question no. Turbo runs off of exhaust supercharger off of a belt.
Well, I understand that, but I am talking about performance wise.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:53 AM   #22
Forum Car Trader
Regular

Region: Texas
I have ran all. And personally my favorite by far has been my novi.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT