electically challenged - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-21-2012, 08:10 PM   #1

Region: Washington
electically challenged

After chasing an electrical problem for a week now I decided to finally ask for help.
My 69 Mach 1 will turn over, but won't fire. I checked the coil, hell, I'll come clean, I bought a new coil and installed it without the result I was hoping for. I know, throwing money at a problem gets expensive REALLY fast, but I didn't know what else to try.
After accepting the dissapointment that the coil wasn't the problem (and I had just burned $45.00 I didn't have to burn) I decided to make a jumper wire and send 12 volts to the positive side of the coil from the battery. After doing that the car fired. Except for it being a pain to energize/de-energize the coil from the battery each time I drive the car, the car seems to run as well (or better) than ever.(side note...the Tach (Ford Racing) also seems to have settled down with the jumper wire hooked to the coil compared to how it use to register. It used to bounce around 3-400 RPM, but I just got use to it. Now it seems to be working perfectly and doesn't bounce around at all). My thought is I need a new voltage regulator, but that's a guess at best. Suggestions? Just so you know, I own exactly zero electical diognostic equipment.
R
my698u is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 09:25 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
someone may have a good guess for ya. but really the best way is to track down the wire starting from the coil. you need to find out why the wire that normally supplies voltage isnt doing so.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:40 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by my698u View Post
(side note...the Tach (Ford Racing) also seems to have settled down with the jumper wire hooked to the coil compared to how it use to register. It used to bounce around 3-400 RPM, but I just got use to it. Now it seems to be working perfectly and doesn't bounce around at all). My thought is I need a new voltage regulator.
R
Well the tach, jumping around sounds like an engine miss to me, it sounds like the jumper you set up solved the miss. So I would remove that factor from the equation. I cant give you any advice other than figure out were in the chain its losing its current. Where do you live by, I can let you borrow a multimeter if your near Milwaukee or Chicago.
Billymich is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT