Shocks and struts? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-22-2012, 11:26 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Shocks and struts?

Anyone know of a good struts and shocks? I wanna a really nice ride but to be able to hug corners well. I have a 86 mustang GT but just finish restoring all spindles, brakes, calipers etc off a 1988 mustang GT so I can update to good struts. I hear the takico HP or the d-specs. Price is high on the D-specs but wonder if their worth it? Also wonder about the KYB? They seem good in price.
Sybesma07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2012, 11:27 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Tockiko and kyb are always good. Read the reviews on them
Old 11-24-2012, 08:28 AM   #3

Region: Michigan
I installed tokico adjustable shocks on my 85 mustang a couple years ago. I was just about to sell the car because the ride had gotten so bad. Now with the adjustable shock I rides like a totally different car. The wife even ride in the stang with no complaints. One of the best purchases I have ever made. 😃
Jdub85stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 03:06 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdub85stang
I installed tokico adjustable shocks on my 85 mustang a couple years ago. I was just about to sell the car because the ride had gotten so bad. Now with the adjustable shock I rides like a totally different car. The wife even ride in the stang with no complaints. One of the best purchases I have ever made. dde03
Which shock and strut did you did from tokico? Did you update your spindles? Plus I see you swapped yours to 5 lug? Could you please tell me everything you did and what size wheels you bought and did you go disc brakes in the bake too? You can send me a personal email if you want on that. Been doing a lot of reading on which way to go. Be awesome if you can help me out sense we have the same body style/ set up. Thanks.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:43 PM   #5

I will try and make it short I got the front suspension spindles brakes 8.8 rear end from a 1995 mustang gt. The rear end axles were alittle wide so I swapped the axles out to get the rear back to stock width ordered axles from north race cars. You can do a web search to find them. I put ford Motorsport B springs on had The C but ride was alittle harsh. I put new front control arms on ford Motorsport M-3075-A they have the low friction ball joints suppose to give less of a harsh ride. Also got and adjustable proportional brake valve. You can mount it on the firewall on the passenger side I can sent u a picture of it. But when I added the tokico adjustable shocks it really made a Big difference in the ride I had the strange adjustable but they didn't ride the best. Dont know if the control arms are still available I did the conversion Some years ago I've had the car since 1989.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:09 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdub85stang
I will try and make it short I got the front suspension spindles brakes 8.8 rear end from a 1995 mustang gt. The rear end axles were alittle wide so I swapped the axles out to get the rear back to stock width ordered axles from north race cars. You can do a web search to find them. I put ford Motorsport B springs on had The C but ride was alittle harsh. I put new front control arms on ford Motorsport M-3075-A they have the low friction ball joints suppose to give less of a harsh ride. Also got and adjustable proportional brake valve. You can mount it on the firewall on the passenger side I can sent u a picture of it. But when I added the tokico adjustable shocks it really made a Big difference in the ride I had the strange adjustable but they didn't ride the best. Dont know if the control arms are still available I did the conversion Some years ago I've had the car since 1989.
Yeah a picture would be great. I've been doing a lot of research and no one really has done it right on our years. You have done what I've been some what planning. What struts did you use on the front or did you just put back shock on and the 95 stock struts? 2. did you have to use all the brake lines of the 95 and master cylinder, brake booster, emergency brake line? Sorry for all the questions but your my answer to everything. You will hopefully save me in trials and airs ha. Oh and what size wheels did you fit on there? Really want 18's on the back 17's on the front and 9 wide but I'm afraid the 17"9 would even rub all around the car.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:22 AM   #7

I used struts and rear shocks tokico for 95 mustang the adjustable ones I bought stainless steel brake hoses and ran them from the front brake lines to the calibers. Since I got the 8.8 from a 95 mustang rear calibers everything was already hooked up. If u can find a donor car that would help out a lot. I do remember changing the part he sits on the rearend where the brake lines hook up with a part from a 87 mustang because the one that's on the 7.5 rearend was different. I left the original master cylinder and brake booster. There have not have a problem stopping the car in fact the 4 wheel disc stops the car very well. I bought emergency brake cable for 95 mustang and it hooked right up to the rear calibers with no modifications. i only have 16x8 on there u probably can do a web search to see how big u can go far as tires and rims concerned. I you want to send me your email I will try and take few pictures. I have the car put up for the winter I never drive the STANG this time of year. I live in Michigan they use a lot of salt here would destroy the car and its like showroom new underunderneath. I also used adjustable proportional valve to adjust the pressure to the rear brake calibers which is very easy to install. I can take picture of it if u need pictures of the rest I can send them later.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:04 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I emailed you my email address and would love pictures. Okay I will start looking for adjustable struts and shocks. There not cheap but worth it. The ones I see in late model restoration are over 600 but like I said ride means everything to me. For now I'm updating the front brakes and spindles to a 88 spindles and brakes. Doing that for now until I decide the route I need to go for my 5 lug swap. You have just help me make up my mind. I have a guy in my town that gutted a 94 GT and all he has left for me is the complete brake lines and emergency brake line. So I will need those for sure right? Planning on using my rearend but swapping the lines and axles in the rearend and then update to the 94-95 disc brakes front and back right? I would swap the whole rearend to the 94-95 but wanna keep my car as much original as possible. 16x8 wheels are the safe way to go. Hate it when it rubs but like the rider looking tire in the back. Thanks again and can't wait to see the picture.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT