3.8- carbed 302 swap - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-23-2012, 11:03 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
3.8- carbed 302 swap

Hey im not from these parts of the forum i am actually from 1996-2004 v6 but what would i need in order to put a carbed 302 into my 98 v6 will i need a computer even if its going to be carbed.... I was recommended to come here so dont get mad lol just need some info on doing something remotley close to this
Robbiemustang96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 08:08 AM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Well we maybe able to help with some of the motor aspects.

You shouldn't need any kind of ecu. I know on our older cars most people doing a carb swap delete the ecu. I'm just not sure what all the newer ecu runs compared to an old one.

What kind of tranny do you have? If its an aode I'm not sure what the fix is for that.because it is electronic. If its a t5 you should be ok if the motor you are swapping in is stock. Buy the v6 t5 is not rated for a 302. Either way you might need a new bellhousing. The drive shaft *should* still work, but be aware to check.

Besides the unknows with the ecu. You will need either a vacuum or centrifigul advance distributor.

You will need a low pressure fuel pump. This pump will most likely be external. So you can either modify the pickup. Or buy a new pickup designed for external pumps. It best if you can modify it yourself to save 100$.

You may or maynot need a throttle cable. The factory one will probably be long, but may still work.

They maybe some more stuff, but that's the basics and all I know. Lol. I don't know but we may have some swap article in our useful sticky thread that may or maynot help.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:49 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang
Well we maybe able to help with some of the motor aspects.

You shouldn't need any kind of ecu. I know on our older cars most people doing a carb swap delete the ecu. I'm just not sure what all the newer ecu runs compared to an old one.

What kind of tranny do you have? If its an aode I'm not sure what the fix is for that.because it is electronic. If its a t5 you should be ok if the motor you are swapping in is stock. Buy the v6 t5 is not rated for a 302. Either way you might need a new bellhousing. The drive shaft *should* still work, but be aware to check.

Besides the unknows with the ecu. You will need either a vacuum or centrifigul advance distributor.

You will need a low pressure fuel pump. This pump will most likely be external. So you can either modify the pickup. Or buy a new pickup designed for external pumps. It best if you can modify it yourself to save 100$.

You may or maynot need a throttle cable. The factory one will probably be long, but may still work.

They maybe some more stuff, but that's the basics and all I know. Lol. I don't know but we may have some swap article in our useful sticky thread that may or maynot help.
They changed from aode to that werid number tranny in 98 which my car is a 98... Ill need motor mounts for a 302
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 03:09 PM   #4
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbiemustang96

They changed from aode to that werid number tranny in 98 which my car is a 98... Ill need motor mounts for a 302
Im sure you will need motor mounts. But I'm not sure if you need a k member or not. I can help you get it running like fuel, ignition, and stuff along those lines. But anything pertaining to the body I am not sure. But I'm sure someone else will chime in to.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:16 PM   #5

Region: Texas
hey guys i have a 94 mustang wuz a 3.8 now a 302 carbed all i needed was 302 mounts n low pressure fuel pump n as for the tranny leave the same u will use the same starter as well
vmtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:19 PM   #6
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmtz
hey guys i have a 94 mustang wuz a 3.8 now a 302 carbed all i needed was 302 mounts n low pressure fuel pump n as for the tranny leave the same u will use the same starter as well
his car is obd 2 so it maybe a hair different. but yeah thats the basics. his car has coil packs stock i believe so he will need the dizzy setup. but i havent done the swap so im just making educational guesses.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:23 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang

his car is obd 2 so it maybe a hair different. but yeah thats the basics. his car has coil packs stock i believe so he will need the dizzy setup. but i havent done the swap so im just making educational guesses.
If i switch the ECU will i need a different key since its coded or is only the ignition controlled by the key

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT