coil spring question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-25-2012, 05:39 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: Missouri
Posts: 67
coil spring question

Anybody cut their coil springs on a sn95?? How much did you cut? How much drop did you get? Post pics!!
fordracing63857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-08-2012, 08:39 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: Missouri
Posts: 67
Anybody?????
fordracing63857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:49 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
watson 1025's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Indiana
Posts: 221
Try searching. I don't remember but I've read a ton of threads on here about cutting springs. I think it was cut 1.5 coils off the front and 1.25 off the back but look it up first.
watson 1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-08-2012, 08:52 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
lowflyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Region: Mississippi
Posts: 19,890
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
I've cut several, just remember once you cut them you can't put it back. Ride quality generally suffers
__________________
"I'm not driving too fast...just flying too low"
Mine:
-03 SB Cobra vert- 2552 of 5082 Born 02/25/03
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
335
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:02 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
watson 1025's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Indiana
Posts: 221
If u want to do it rigvht I got SVE 2" lowering springs and I love em. Best part is they are only $100 at latemodelresto.com
watson 1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:17 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
1slosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 7,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by watson 1025 View Post
If u want to do it rigvht I got SVE 2" lowering springs and I love em. Best part is they are only $100 at latemodelresto.com
right is a relative term....to me right is what performs for what you need. and oem springs are wonderful for most needs when cut best weight transfering springs for no cash down lol

@op i've done about 10 new edges now...i always cut 1.25 coils off the front and 1 coil off the back. gets you almost a 1.5" drop in the front...pull the isolators to gain around another 1/4" drop. Ride quality gets a bit stiffer but that's perfectly fine by me. if you're curious on cutting methods check out this...it's for a cobra however it's similar to working on an sn95

The Complete How To Cut Your Stock Springs Thread - SVTPerformance
__________________

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:55 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
watson 1025's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Indiana
Posts: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post

right is a relative term....to me right is what performs for what you need. and oem springs are wonderful for most needs when cut best weight transfering springs for no cash down lol

@op i've done about 10 new edges now...i always cut 1.25 coils off the front and 1 coil off the back. gets you almost a 1.5" drop in the front...pull the isolators to gain around another 1/4" drop. Ride quality gets a bit stiffer but that's perfectly fine by me. if you're curious on cutting methods check out this...it's for a cobra however it's similar to working on an sn95

The Complete How To Cut Your Stock Springs Thread - SVTPerformance
True, I'm more into auto cross than drag so I was thinking more more in that area. Also I've only tlked to one person who cut their springs an I guess he didn't do it right if u have cut 10 with no prob.
watson 1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:20 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mustang 4pt0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: Missouri
Posts: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordracing63857 View Post
Anybody cut their coil springs on a sn95?? How much did you cut? How much drop did you get? Post pics!!
I wouldn't recommend cutting your springs, it would be better to buy new springs. The ride of your car wouldn't be very good. I bought SR performance lowering springs and it made my car look real nice and drives even smoother.
Mustang 4pt0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:02 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Ewokjax95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 201
Their not exactly smoother riding, but If you want it substantially lower, the H&R SS springs give a 2in drop in front and 1.6in in the back. Cutting springs compromises spring flex so i wouldn't recommend it. Get new shocks with a new springs tho because lowering springs will be tough on them. I left out the isolators as well. Another 1/4in drop. Just my .02 tho.
__________________
Ewokjax95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



10:20 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.