MAF - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-30-2012, 01:31 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
MAF

Hey guys, I've read the stickies I've done some research, I try to contribute when I can on this site, but I don't have a lot of time on my hands so I was hoping someone who already knows can help me out. I am on a budget. I want to upgrade to a MAF, I have an '88 5.0 LX mostly stock except the rear end and the exhaust. I was wondering if you guys could recommend the best way to do this, aftermarket, junkyard mods, injector size and what else I may need, I don't have cruise control. Also on an unrelated note, my spedo doesn't work. Previous owner included a speedo cable (new) with the purchase, where would I find this cable so I can hook it up. Also I have a haynes would it tell me there? How would I ID my trans (for speedo gear if the wire doesn't correct it?)
Thanks so much in advance guys! Thanks for helping me go from an oil change only guy to redoing heads and so much more, my POS is starting to be everything I want her to be!
Billymich is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2012, 01:51 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Region: Louisiana
Easy way for the maf is to get a complete harness and ECM out of an 89-up 5.0 and also grab the maf from the car unless you already have one. Everything else should be the same. If your car is a manual either ECM will work ( A9p, A9l). If your car is an auto you will need to use the A9p ECM.

93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:54 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Unless the gears have been changed you shouldn't have to worry about changing the speedo gear. If they have then you can use the chart LRS has to determine which speedo gear you would need.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2012, 09:26 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

So I have to redo the entire harness? Sounds like a pain =/ I was hopping to just splice in a pigtail. As for the ECM I have a manual, so that means any car 89+ will work for me? You would recommend stock injectors and all that jazz?
Old 11-30-2012, 10:31 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billymich View Post
So I have to redo the entire harness? Sounds like a pain =/ I was hopping to just splice in a pigtail. As for the ECM I have a manual, so that means any car 89+ will work for me? You would recommend stock injectors and all that jazz?
You don't have to replace the harness, its easier than you think to do. You can splice that section in if you want. Here's an article outlining that process. http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co...n/viewall.html

As far as injectors and everything else, they will do just fine.

Old 12-07-2012, 01:31 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93slowstang View Post
Unless the gears have been changed you shouldn't have to worry about changing the speedo gear. If they have then you can use the chart LRS has to determine which speedo gear you would need.
I have 4.10 in the rear, I don't know if that was done before or after the speedo stopped working. So I don't know if they bothered to change it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT