Mass/ cold air intake - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-01-2012, 12:15 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

DerekJohnScott is unknown around these parts
Mass/ cold air intake

I want to know exactly what I need to put a mass air or cold air intake on my 87 gt. I have been looking online and all it seems to be is a tube with a filter. Do I need any type of computer thing or anything? A runner isn't in the budget right now but I would like to get a little bit of work done to it and everybody says that a cold air/ mass air is what I need. Is tre a difference I between cold air and mass air intakes?

---------- Post added at 12:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekJohnScott
I want to know exactly what I need to put a mass air or cold air intake on my 87 gt. I have been looking online and all it seems to be is a tube with a filter. Do I need any type of computer thing or anything? A runner isn't in the budget right now but I would like to get a little bit of work done to it and everybody says that a cold air/ mass air is what I need. Is tre a difference I between cold air and mass air intakes?
Tuner, not runner

Old 12-01-2012, 12:18 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

1slosix is just getting started.
you can just put one on...beauty of a push rod motor you don't need a tune to see the benefits of it. just make sure to put it on right lol

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:33 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix
you can just put one on...beauty of a push rod motor you don't need a tune to see the benefits of it. just make sure to put it on right lol
My dad was saying I had to tune it other wise it will run like crap.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:35 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

nope...now if you were upgrading the MAF and didn't lets say have the right injectors for a larger MAF then it'd run like crap

Old 12-01-2012, 12:40 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix
nope...now if you were upgrading the MAF and didn't lets say have the right injectors for a larger MAF then it'd run like crap
That makes since. How do you know what size injectors you need? Would it just say with the new MAF?
Old 12-01-2012, 12:45 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

yeah they are calibrated for certain injector sizes (there are MAFs with adjustable sleeves though)...they usually say what they are calibrated to on the plate riveted to the MAF

Old 12-01-2012, 09:42 AM   #7

coach4847 is unknown around these parts
2013 V6 Rouch

so far I have changed my computer setting on my V6, went to a cold air intake Airaid, now I am going to a 3.73 rear end to change gears. It keeps coming up that mustangs are having issues with the stock drive shaft. Anyone else have this problem??
Old 12-01-2012, 10:48 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach4847
so far I have changed my computer setting on my V6, went to a cold air intake Airaid, now I am going to a 3.73 rear end to change gears. It keeps coming up that mustangs are having issues with the stock drive shaft. Anyone else have this problem??
I've never heard of that, but of you can you might as well go for an aluminum one.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Tags
cold air intake