budget plans - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-02-2012, 11:41 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
budget plans

Ok so long story short, I pulled my motor a few months ago intending on doing a 347 build but I won't have the money for that for a while and I miss my v8 lol. So while its out I'm going to replace all the gaskets and seals. Now I'm curious if I should go ahead and do a mild ford racing cam too.

My current motor has stock MAF (I know that's a restrictor), 75mm throttle body, explorer upper and Systemax 2 lower intake, stock cam, 24# injectors, stock headers, no name cold air intake, AOD with shift kit, stock stall, and 3.27 gears...I ran 14.8 on 245/50zr16 slicks.

I'm interested in doing the cam and 4.10 gears....would that get me a reasonable gain in time or should I invest the few hundred bucks in different bolt ons? I'm gonna have maybe $500 budget for now. Thanks for help in advance
1991 Mustang LX - Rebuilt 302, cobra 80mm MAF, 75mm Trickflow Throttle Body, Ported GT40 Intake manifold, half inch plenum spacer, Ported trickflow twisted wedge heads w/ trackheat valvesprings, Scorpion 1.6 Roller Rockers, stock cam (for now), 24# injectors, trickflow pushrods, shorty headers, H-pipe with 4 magnaflow high performance cats, flowmaster 40s w/ axle dumps, 4.11 gears, aluminum driveshaft, Built AOD w/ 2800 stall, 16" Cobra R replicas, 245/50ZR16 street slicks...hopefully procharger next
SmokedLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 11:43 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Gears are a good bang for the Buck mod.
jdavis96gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:52 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I used to have a v6 3.8 that I put 3.55s in from stock 2.73 and it felt way faster. Will 4.10s be too much though? I've read that going too high in gears can just make your motor rev out too fast and you'll lose time
1991 Mustang LX - Rebuilt 302, cobra 80mm MAF, 75mm Trickflow Throttle Body, Ported GT40 Intake manifold, half inch plenum spacer, Ported trickflow twisted wedge heads w/ trackheat valvesprings, Scorpion 1.6 Roller Rockers, stock cam (for now), 24# injectors, trickflow pushrods, shorty headers, H-pipe with 4 magnaflow high performance cats, flowmaster 40s w/ axle dumps, 4.11 gears, aluminum driveshaft, Built AOD w/ 2800 stall, 16" Cobra R replicas, 245/50ZR16 street slicks...hopefully procharger next
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 12:25 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokedLX View Post
Yeah I used to have a v6 3.8 that I put 3.55s in from stock 2.73 and it felt way faster. Will 4.10s be too much though? I've read that going too high in gears can just make your motor rev out too fast and you'll lose time
Honestly I don't know, I'm not getting gears for couple more months. I'm trying to find a good shop locally and its not easy. Only one dyno/performance shop around and he's a neon man. He wouldn't even order parts for my z24 or my buddy's si.

I have heard if u got high miles, that the change could cause problems from revving to fast. I guess since its such a change. I don't know if its true or not.
jdavis96gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:37 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I'm guessing 4.10 should be a safe bet cause on my stock cam with 3.27 gears my 60' was absolutely horrible waiting for the rpms to get up there from a dead stop. So with a cam I should have real good launch.

I know what you mean with the dyno guys. They usually have a favorite and rip off or ignore everyone else. The best shop around here the guy won't have anything to do with you unless its a Toyota or you have deeeeeep pockets.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:24 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Need to do long tubes before you so cam...

I chug syrup for money...
wc3john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:36 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc3john View Post
Need to do long tubes before you so cam...
I can't do long tubes cause mine is a cali car, I need 4 cats to pass emissions inspection
Old 12-02-2012, 02:24 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Then shortys at the minimum... Gotta let the cam breath otherwise else you won't see a major change

Old 12-02-2012, 06:26 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Then shortys at the minimum... Gotta let the cam breath otherwise else you won't see a major change
Will long tubes be as effective if I weld in high flow cats to the ends?
Old 12-02-2012, 07:10 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Region: Louisiana
I'm extremely curious how you have an explorer upper on a systemax II lower.

93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:11 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
+1

93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:17 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93slowstang View Post
Creative porting!?
Old 12-02-2012, 07:22 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Honestly no idea, bought the car that way

---------- Post added at 06:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:19 PM ----------

Quote:
I guess they line up? Idk if its a modified explorer maybe
Old 12-02-2012, 07:22 PM   #14
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
i dont neccesarily think headers are required to do cam. of course they may help. but high flow cats would be more benificial than shorties imo.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:38 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
i dont neccesarily think headers are required to do cam. of course they may help. but high flow cats would be more benificial than shorties imo.
How about both? shorties can be found cheaply
Billymich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:09 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
They aren't required lol. You can run stock paper filter and still do a cam... But let's be honest with our selves... It would probably give just a few hp increase instead of compounding it higher because of the increased flow and decreased back pressure... Not to mention the scavenging effect

AND he wants to do a ford racing cam which is all the MORE reason to do it... Otherwise you'll get a sound change and that's it

---------- Post added at 05:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:07 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokedLX View Post
Will long tubes be as effective if I weld in high flow cats to the ends?
Long tubes are always better ( in most cases on the Internet and ALL cases I've seen in person ) but I luckily don't leave in Cali so... If that would be legal then yeah I'd do it. Could get a little expensive but at least it'll flow the best... Not to mention sound good as ****

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT