needing help bad, car won't start - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-11-2012, 03:33 PM   #1

Region: Oregon
needing help bad, car won't start

Well hello everyone i am new on here and i just changed the fuel pump and fuel filter in my 1994 mustang. bought a new battery and i am trying to get it started. for some reason it is not wanting to start any one have any insight on what i should check or do?
foxrider2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012, 06:13 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Have you tried resetting the fuel pump relay switch in the trunk?
aegischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:04 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Is the fuel filter in the right direction?

---------- Post added at 02:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:03 AM ----------

Did you mess with your timing or distributor?
Billymich is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 03:49 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Is there gas in the car, lol
Jeff44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:28 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Does the motor turn over?
13StangGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:45 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Do you mean the starter wont turn over or the starter turns over but the engine wont start..If the starter turns,,check see if you hear the fuel pump comes on
Old 12-12-2012, 09:04 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Just check for fuel and spark if the motor is turning over. Pull the coil wire, ground it and check for spark there- while cranking over. If so continue to check by pulling a spark plug wire off and grounding it out. Crank over again and check for spark. If so move on to fuel. Install a fuel pressure gauge and crank over. You should get pressure when key is on and when cranking. Do you have fuel and spark? Are you missing one?
havhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:12 PM   #8

thanks everyone i have checked the fuel pump to see if it is running and yes it is. there is gas in the car and the motor turns over the the car wont start it acts like it wants to but it wont.fuel filter is in right direction and didnt touch the distributor or the timing. fuel pump relay is ok i already checked that before and after. also tried starting it in neutral but still nothing. checked fuel and pressure. it has spark the car started last week. any other insight on what it might be?
Old 12-12-2012, 05:16 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxrider2014 View Post
thanks everyone i have checked the fuel pump to see if it is running and yes it is. there is gas in the car and the motor turns over the the car wont start it acts like it wants to but it wont.fuel filter is in right direction and didnt touch the distributor or the timing. fuel pump relay is ok i already checked that before and after. also tried starting it in neutral but still nothing. checked fuel and pressure. it has spark the car started last week. any other insight on what it might be?
Make sure the air filter and duct work is tight and the MAF sensor is hooked up,,also disconnect the neg batt post,,and wait 10 mins,,hook the batt cable back up,,that should reboot the PCM..Maybe the Baro might have drop low from sitting up,,Make sure all the grounds that you can see are good and tight
Old 12-12-2012, 06:16 PM   #10

just checked all the spark plug wires again and one of them is not getting a spark. so i need to fix that and then go from there. that you mymustang for all your help i will keep everyone updated on what happens. i think that this might b my problem
Old 12-13-2012, 01:19 PM   #11

well the spark plug is good and the wire i am not sure about yet, any other insight on why it still wont start?
Old 12-13-2012, 06:20 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
just checked all the spark plug wires again and one of them is not getting a spark. so i need to fix that and then go from there. that you mymustang for all your help i will keep everyone updated on what happens. i think that this might b my problem
The car would start and run with one or more not firing, so that's not it. Check your timing, even though you said you did't touch it... cause a lot of people problems.
Billymich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:47 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
well the spark plug is good and the wire i am not sure about yet, any other insight on why it still wont start?
Well like billymich said,,if only one is not firing ,,it should start..Are you sure its a good spark..Advance has a spark tester thats adjustable,,run it out about 1/2 inch,,on the ones that are sparking,,it should jump the gap consistenly,,if not you may have a weak coil,,assuming you have a distributer,,and a single coil
Old 12-16-2012, 08:09 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Do you just need to prime the pump? My jeep ran out of gas before and i had to shove a hose in the gas tank and blow in it so its under pressure and then had my brother turn the car over and it fired right up. How long are you trying to turn the car over?
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:39 PM   #15
Road Trip!

Did you link one of the rubber sections of fuel line back by the tank. They come from the passenger side top?
JayKranz is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT