Car runs but wont start normally - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2014 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-12-2012, 05:39 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

93_347foxbody is unknown around these parts
Car runs but wont start normally

alright i finally got my car running good but the only thing is it wont start normally, i have to catch it in gear and it doesnt even always start that way. i got it started once normally today out of several tries. it doesnt seem like it wants to fire up until i release the key like as if it doesnt get spark when the keys turned forward. any reason it could be doing this?

Old 12-13-2012, 07:59 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

bnoist114 is unknown around these parts
It may be bad ground in ignition switch. I wuld think ingnition control module but if it does run tho then it may just be in the ignition switch

---------- Post added at 08:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 AM ----------

Hope that helps. Ive fought ignition several times in my 85

Old 12-13-2012, 02:00 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnoist114 View Post
It may be bad ground in ignition switch. I wuld think ingnition control module but if it does run tho then it may just be in the ignition switch

---------- Post added at 08:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 AM ----------

Hope that helps. Ive fought ignition several times in my 85
stupid question here, but where is the ignition switch located?
Old 12-13-2012, 06:16 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Billymich is unknown around these parts
Check timing.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:51 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billymich View Post
Check timing.
I dont think its my timing bc it runs great once it actually starts
Old 12-14-2012, 07:36 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I doubt its ur timing if it does run. Ur ignition switch is in ur steering column at ur lock cylinder. Ive had that harness and switch go bad on me befor

---------- Post added at 08:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:30 AM ----------

U have probably already checkd but i always check the obvious like all my grounds and connections first to eliminate those first. And fuses and sepeing if everything has power

---------- Post added at 08:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 AM ----------

I meant "seeing" not "sepeing". Hope that helps. Its usually sumthin simplel that just takes awhile to find
Old 12-14-2012, 08:28 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnoist114 View Post
I doubt its ur timing if it does run. Ur ignition switch is in ur steering column at ur lock cylinder. Ive had that harness and switch go bad on me befor

---------- Post added at 08:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:30 AM ----------

U have probably already checkd but i always check the obvious like all my grounds and connections first to eliminate those first. And fuses and sepeing if everything has power

---------- Post added at 08:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 AM ----------

I meant "seeing" not "sepeing". Hope that helps. Its usually sumthin simplel that just takes awhile to find
I checked most the grounds it turns over fine it gets gas and air but it seems like it doesn't get spark till the key gets released. I'm gonna check the switch tonight when I get home
Old 12-14-2012, 08:39 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Yea, it sounds like its sumthin in that switch. If u need a new 1 i dnt think there too bad priced. Ill have to check auto zones website and see. But id jus make sure none of the terminals are loose in the connector befor spending money.

---------- Post added at 09:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 AM ----------

I hope it works out for u. Im running out of ideas on wat it may be. But with it only messing up when u use key is why i think of the ignition switch an not the ignition control module under the hood. U obviously get spark once it is running. Good luck
Old 12-14-2012, 09:42 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I checkd an the ign switch is between $10 an $15 at auto zone. An i doubt it is but u may also want to check ur starting solenoid also. Its either right beside the battery or on the starter its self. But i still think its the switch. But it dnt hurt to check the solenoid too
Old 12-14-2012, 10:15 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Well sometimes it doesn't wanna catch in gear also so its not only when I turn the key it doesn't fire up. It'll start here and there and run great when started but then sometimes it doesn't
Old 12-14-2012, 06:16 PM   #11
Road Trip!

dreamstang is unknown around these parts
do you know for sure its not getting spark? or are you assuming? you cant assume anything when you are trouble shooting something like this. if younare getting spark it very well could be the timing. you can have your timing set where its hard to start but will still run fine.

you say you are getting fuel, but how much?
Old 12-14-2012, 06:17 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
do you know for sure its not getting spark? or are you assuming? you cant assume anything when you are trouble shooting something like this. if younare getting spark it very well could be the timing. you can have your timing set where its hard to start but will still run fine.

Thats what I was saying dreamstang...
Old 12-14-2012, 06:22 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Im not saying I know its not getting spark I meant it doesn't seem like it is until I release the key bc it'll turn over and you can see gas pouring down the carb but doesn't fire up till I release the key and it'll sputter as if its going to start. And one question about the timing, how could it get thrown off by just sitting in the driveway? And my distributer doesn't turn like people said it does to adjust timing
Old 12-14-2012, 06:24 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93_347foxbody View Post
Im not saying I know its not getting spark I meant it doesn't seem like it is until I release the key bc it'll turn over and you can see gas pouring down the carb but doesn't fire up till I release the key and it'll sputter as if its going to start. And one question about the timing, how could it get thrown off by just sitting in the driveway? And my distributer doesn't turn like people said it does to adjust timing
Post a picture of your distributor please
Old 12-14-2012, 06:27 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Post a picture of your distributor please
Alright one second lemme get one
Old 12-14-2012, 06:31 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Alright one second lemme get one
I'm pretty sure its from summit

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20121214_193117.png
Views:	47
Size:	413.9 KB
ID:	81012
Old 12-14-2012, 06:34 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

You may be able to adjust it electronically , I don't know off hand... there should be a hold down clip towards the bottom right of that picture, once you losesen it with the keys out ignition off you can adjust it.... someone else will chime in I'm sure... not sure where Trojan Horse has been lately he would know I'm sure
Old 12-14-2012, 06:37 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I'm pretty sure its from summit
And speaking of the timing when my friend turned the throttle really quick before it backfired in the carb and then shut off. Then of wouldn't fore up normally again. I get it to fire up normally every so often but not all the time

---------- Post added at 07:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:36 PM ----------

Quote:
You may be able to adjust it electronically , I don't know off hand... there should be a hold down clip towards the bottom right of that picture, once you losesen it with the keys out ignition off you can adjust it.... someone else will chime in I'm sure... not sure where Trojan Horse has been lately he would know I'm sure
I'm gonna look for the clip quick to see of there is one
Old 12-14-2012, 06:38 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Google Image Result for http://www.precisionenginetech.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/IMG_8790-333x500.jpg

That kinda shows what it looks like, but I have no idea what kind of car that is from
Old 12-14-2012, 06:48 PM   #20
Pete Jones
Regular

90mustangLX is unknown around these parts
Send a message via ICQ to 90mustangLX Send a message via AIM to 90mustangLX
Likes like an HEI distributor to me, most commonly seen on GM vehicles if I'm not mistaken but people do swap to them
BBK CAI, BBK SSI-R upper and lower
Professional Products 75mm TB,Electric Fan
MSD 8.5 90 degree plug wires
90mustangLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:52 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90mustangLX View Post
Likes like an HEI distributor to me, most commonly seen on GM vehicles if I'm not mistaken but people do swap to them
Would that happen to be the clip? And my friends step dad asked if it was off a chevy but I didn't know if it was

Name:	ForumRunner_20121214_195137.png
Views:	55
Size:	348.0 KB
ID:	81015

Name:	ForumRunner_20121214_195137.png
Views:	55
Size:	348.0 KB
ID:	81015
Old 12-14-2012, 07:27 PM   #22
Pete Jones
Regular

90mustangLX is unknown around these parts
Send a message via ICQ to 90mustangLX Send a message via AIM to 90mustangLX
Quote:

Would that happen to be the clip? And my friends step dad asked if it was off a chevy but I didn't know if it was
That would be what holds the cap to the distributor itself yes, use a screwdriver on the top and turn them to make the hooks come out from under the dist. . I don't really know anything about the HEI distributor but I do know people swap them into mustangs and what not. If you've ever seen muscle car or whatever on spike tv they use those on just about everything.
BBK CAI, BBK SSI-R upper and lower
Professional Products 75mm TB,Electric Fan
MSD 8.5 90 degree plug wires
90mustangLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:36 PM   #23
Road Trip!

yeah its definitly an hei. and i also dont know how to adjust it. lemme do some googling.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:42 PM   #24
Road Trip!

ok, i think this is your dizzy
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/su...view/make/ford

after googling i couldnt really find any different instructions than normal. you should just loosen the hold down bolt and be able to spin the dizzy.

at minimun at least put a timing light on it and check. it only takes a minute. you can buy a timing light really cheap and it is a great addition to any tool set. if you dont want to buy one then rent one from autozone for free. you just need a deposit.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:32 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
ok, i think this is your dizzy
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/su...view/make/ford

after googling i couldnt really find any different instructions than normal. you should just loosen the hold down bolt and be able to spin the dizzy.

at minimun at least put a timing light on it and check. it only takes a minute. you can buy a timing light really cheap and it is a great addition to any tool set. if you dont want to buy one then rent one from autozone for free. you just need a deposit.
I'm gonna pick up a timing light tomorrow. What of the marks on the flywheel aren't correct tho someone said they could be off or something Idk
Old 12-15-2012, 01:27 PM   #26
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93_347foxbody

I'm gonna pick up a timing light tomorrow. What of the marks on the flywheel aren't correct tho someone said they could be off or something Idk
I don't know how.the marks on the crank could be off. I say just check it out and find out.
But if the marks aren't right, then there is an even better chance that your timing is off.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:42 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I don't know how.the marks on the crank could be off. I say just check it out and find out.
But if the marks aren't right, then there is an even better chance that your timing is off.
Yeah. How hard is adjusting the timing bc I'm obviously bot the brightest about cars haha
Old 12-15-2012, 04:30 PM   #28
Road Trip!

Quote:

Yeah. How hard is adjusting the timing bc I'm obviously bot the brightest about cars haha
very simple man. you are carbed right?

you hook the alligator clips on the battery terminals. the the other clip goes on the #1 spark plug wire. you can put it anywhere over the wire. #1 is the furthest front passenger side cylinder. then with the car running you will point the light at the crank holding the trigger. the light will flash/strobe every time that cylinder sparks. because of how fast it is flashing and being in sequence to the crank spinning you will be able to see the mark. fyi i wouldnt buy a light with the advance feature on it. you can tell because they will have a dial on them. they are more tricky to use and isnt neccasary for regular timing adjustments like you will be doing.

before you start you need to loosen the hold down bolt on the distributor. they make a special wrench to make it easy to get to. but you can get to it without, especially since you are carbed. but i have a cheap wrench that i just bent a little bit. i believe the size is 1/2". so with the bolt loose, car running and light pointed at the crank all you do is turn the distributor a little bit at a time until the timing pointer lines up with the mark you want on the crank. it is a good idea to find the mark you want before you start and use a paint stick or something to make the mark more easily readible.

since you are having issues i would set it to base timing which is 10* btdc (before top dead center). btdc is on the right side of the 0* mark when the crank is spinning. once you get it running good let us know and we can walk you through advancing the timing a bit to give you a few free extra ponies.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:58 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

very simple man. you are carbed right?

you hook the alligator clips on the battery terminals. the the other clip goes on the #1 spark plug wire. you can put it anywhere over the wire. #1 is the furthest front passenger side cylinder. then with the car running you will point the light at the crank holding the trigger. the light will flash/strobe every time that cylinder sparks. because of how fast it is flashing and being in sequence to the crank spinning you will be able to see the mark. fyi i wouldnt buy a light with the advance feature on it. you can tell because they will have a dial on them. they are more tricky to use and isnt neccasary for regular timing adjustments like you will be doing.

before you start you need to loosen the hold down bolt on the distributor. they make a special wrench to make it easy to get to. but you can get to it without, especially since you are carbed. but i have a cheap wrench that i just bent a little bit. i believe the size is 1/2". so with the bolt loose, car running and light pointed at the crank all you do is turn the distributor a little bit at a time until the timing pointer lines up with the mark you want on the crank. it is a good idea to find the mark you want before you start and use a paint stick or something to make the mark more easily readible.

since you are having issues i would set it to base timing which is 10* btdc (before top dead center). btdc is on the right side of the 0* mark when the crank is spinning. once you get it running good let us know and we can walk you through advancing the timing a bit to give you a few free extra ponies.
Alright thank you very much for the instructions. I'm probably gonna so it tomorrow morning before work if I have time I will let you guys know what happens. I just hope she starts so I can adjust the timing haha
Old 12-15-2012, 07:34 PM   #30
Road Trip!

no prblem man amd good luck. with that carb you maybe able to feather the pedal just right to help choke it a bit. i usually have good luck with that anytime i have an ol carb car that is hassling me.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:29 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
no prblem man amd good luck. with that carb you maybe able to feather the pedal just right to help choke it a bit. i usually have good luck with that anytime i have an ol carb car that is hassling me.
I got the light and I set the timing back to stock but I ended up selling her today back to the guy who dropped the motor in her
Old 12-17-2012, 09:58 PM   #32
Road Trip!

Quote:

I got the light and I set the timing back to stock but I ended up selling her today back to the guy who dropped the motor in her
Ahh that sux man.
Just curious, what was the timing set at?
Old 12-17-2012, 10:09 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ahh that sux man.
Just curious, what was the timing set at?
I think like 17* ish if I'm correct. It still isn't runnig the best bit I at least got it to stop shooting a flame out the carb haha. The hit said he's gonna mess with it he just wanted it running to get it home.

---------- Post added at 11:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 PM ----------

Quote:

I think like 17* ish if I'm correct. It still isn't runnig the best bit I at least got it to stop shooting a flame out the carb haha. The hit said he's gonna mess with it he just wanted it running to get it home.
And that's just an estimate I couldn't tell you an exact
Old 12-18-2012, 12:59 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Sucks that you had to sell it, Foxbody + Problem car + daily driver = frustration

I feel your pain

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2014 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT