Fuel gauge problem!! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-12-2012, 08:43 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Fuel gauge problem!!

Hey guys/girls.. I have an 89 gt.. I recently got all my gauges done.not stock anymore..but I have a problem, the gas gauge only stays between 1/4 and 1/2 tank.today I filled it up and the needle stood at the same place. they told me it was probably the sending unit but I just wanted to make sure its that or any other opinions would help..its just that the sending unit is a lil expensive, am low on cash so I don't want to waist it if its not needed.help please..thank you!!
89 Foxloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 08:48 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Had the same problem with mine. It's called the float/sending unit in your gas tank which indicates how much gas the tank is containing. You can replace the sending unit or you can just do what I did until I had the money to replace it. I knew my car got 20-23 mpg so when I got gas I seen how many gallons I put in and multiplied that by 20,23 or whatever you MPG Is and hit the reset button on your odometer.
Ex; $20 equals 5 gallons multiplied by 20mpg equals fairly 100 miles...
Jmanlev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:52 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmanlev View Post
Had the same problem with mine. It's called the float/sending unit in your gas tank which indicates how much gas the tank is containing. You can replace the sending unit or you can just do what I did until I had the money to replace it. I knew my car got 20-23 mpg so when I got gas I seen how many gallons I put in and multiplied that by 20,23 or whatever you MPG Is and hit the reset button on your odometer.
Ex; $20 equals 5 gallons multiplied by 20mpg equals fairly 100 miles...
lmao.. Thats what I been doing for the past four months..but I actually want to work.but before I actually buy the piece I want to make sure it is that one or it could be something else..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 08:57 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
That sounds like its it. After a while its gonna stay on "E" and the low fuel light will stay on too.
Jmanlev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:50 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmanlev View Post
That sounds like its it. After a while its gonna stay on "E" and the low fuel light will stay on too.
oh ok..I guess I'll have to change it.thanks..
Old 12-13-2012, 06:41 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Sweet looking ride man! Good luck with the sending unit.
Billymich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:40 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Mine is messed up too but mine stays at full until I get down too 5/8 of a tank then it works. Idk what's wrong, it doesn't bother me and I don't have the money to fix it.
DerekJohnScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:51 PM   #8
Road Trip!

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekJohnScott
Mine is messed up too but mine stays at full until I get down too 5/8 of a tank then it works. Idk what's wrong, it doesn't bother me and I don't have the money to fix it.
Mines the same, except mine reads full until i get to about a 1/4 of a tank. Doesnt bother me either
keaton5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:17 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Had the same problem I replaced float and fuel sending unit still didn't work come to find out it was the Guage itself I replaced the whole Guage cluster was a bit of a pain but every thing works
durtyred69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:13 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
when full mine reads around 125% at 100% its half full at
Billymich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:48 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Most likely suspect is float, the people with intermittent fuel level readings, your float is probably getting stuck and then breaking loose at your respective readings...if that makes sense.

The following would be very difficult, dropping the tank etc, but will tell you for sure. Although if you are going to go this far, you may as well replace the float/sending unit while the tank is down. You can check the float by manually attempting to raise or lower it, and check the gauge. If the gauge doesn't move, then you know the gauges are broken. If the gauges move then you know it is the float. Rather than do all that, start with the least expensive replacement part, maybe a diff gauge from another car you know works. I would normally say its the float right away, but the gauges have been an issue for many stang owners. Gauges can be found pretty cheap so I would start there.
Sgt_Syke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:50 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I'm also having a problem with my fuel gauge. It stays on E but there is no low fuel light. Does this sound like it could possibly be the gauge and not the float? Also I have ran it empty once, so I know the low fuel light isn't activating. Sorry for jacking the thread.
Foxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:57 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxtrot View Post
I'm also having a problem with my fuel gauge. It stays on E but there is no low fuel light. Does this sound like it could possibly be the gauge and not the float? Also I have ran it empty once, so I know the low fuel light isn't activating. Sorry for jacking the thread.
Thats cool.. you probably have an electrical problem..Sound slike a pain in the *** but if you actually have some time check all the wires that they are conencted correctly and specially grounds..i had so much problems with other things just becuase grounds werent connected good..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT