Help please - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-14-2012, 05:21 PM   #1

Region: Kentucky
Help please

I am new to this and have a couple issues. My 88 gt is blowing white smoke out of both exhaust pipes which I assume is either a blown head gasket or a cracked head. But after sitting there and idling for 5 to 10 minutes my engine revs up and than back down on its own and starts to sound like its going to die. Also I been smelling a lot of gas like its running rich. Any help would be great thanks
88mustang5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2012, 05:35 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
STOP RUNNING IT RIGHT AWAY!
check your coolant level

---------- Post added at 05:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:34 PM ----------

If you smell coolant in the exhaust its time to tear off the intake, get down to the heads and see if you have a blown gasket or cracked heads, chances are you're overheating and may need new heads...
Billymich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:44 PM   #3

Alright I was afraid of that because I don't think that is something I can quite do yet. It sounds like a pretty big job. Might also be a good time to upgrade.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2012, 05:45 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88mustang5.0 View Post
Alright I was afraid of that because I don't think that is something I can quite do yet. It sounds like a pretty big job. Might also be a good time to upgrade.
The exact same thing happened to me 3 days after buying my car. Heads overheated and warped, until redoing all that the most I had done were oil changes on a Bimmer (easiest thing ever) It was my first learning/starting point I'd be happy to help any way I can!
Old 12-14-2012, 05:51 PM   #5

That's about how I am. Oil changes, belt , alternator. I'm comfortable doing light auto work but I'm leaning more towards doing this myself. A shop would probably ask close to a thousand to do it. I appreciate the help and when I finally man up and do it I'm sure ill have more questions
Old 12-14-2012, 05:56 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, of course. It was frustrating and took longer than I should, but now I am learning more and more every day. You gotta start somewhere I did it like 2-3 months ago. LMK if you want some help or advice, and don't drive it if you don't absolutely have to, It will only make things worse.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:04 PM   #7
Road Trip!

Region: Ohio
Go ahead and do it yourself. Its not too bad of a job if you just take your time. Pick up a chilton manual for your car and we will also be glad to help with whatever you need.
keaton5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:06 PM   #8

It's staying right where it's at until I fix it. Im sure it will take me a weekend to get that done. I was looking on the Internet earlier and reading about how it could be a cracked block and that got me worried

---------- Post added at 07:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:04 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by keaton5.0 View Post
Go ahead and do it yourself. Its not too bad of a job if you just take your time. Pick up a chilton manual for your car and we will also be glad to help with whatever you need.
Alright I'll do that and thanks for both your help. I should have found this app sooner
Old 12-14-2012, 06:10 PM   #9
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
i would do a compression test amd leak down test first thing before i tore anything apart. i would do it on all cylinders. chances are you have major issues. but this will confirm and tell you what cylinder/s the problem lies.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:15 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88mustang5.0 View Post
It's staying right where it's at until I fix it. Im sure it will take me a weekend to get that done. I was looking on the Internet earlier and reading about how it could be a cracked block and that got me worried

---------- Post added at 07:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:04 PM ----------

Alright I'll do that and thanks for both your help. I should have found this app sooner
I had/have a Haynes manual I thought it was good, but I haven't seen a Chiltons. Plan on It taking longer... **** goes wrong, you may need to have your heads shaved by a machine shop, if they overheated and warped, make sure to get a good gasket kit and replace everything that you take off. would be a good time to do spark plugs, replace all your vacuum lines, but be aware, some are molded plastic and need to be bought from ford probably, flush your coolant best you can. you will need an oil change, oil filter, and make sure you have a timing light to redo your timing. LABEL EVERTHING, take pictures, or videos keep it organized, never trust your memory. You will need new Head bolts as they stretch. Make you have a torque wrench. It will be easier to do if you have help.

---------- Post added at 06:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:14 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
i would do a compression test amd leak down test first thing before i tore anything apart. i would do it on all cylinders. chances are you have major issues. but this will confirm and tell you what cylinder/s the problem lies.
+1 also message me if you get stuck and need some help you can send me picks and I'll give some advice... I wish I had more help when I did it.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:54 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
When I did mine I used zip lock bags and a sharpie to bag and label all the bolts as they came out, it helped a ton with reassembly. Put little notes if needed in the bag too, like the location of a shorter bolt so you aren't fishing around trying to find the right hole
Matt90lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:57 PM   #12

That's a good idea and I appreciate everyone's help. I ordered one of those manuals online for the 88 gt so I can have something to go by. The only thing that I'm worried about is if there is something else cracked or messed up I won't be able to identify it. I might send my heads off to a shop
Old 12-15-2012, 01:04 PM   #13
Road Trip!

I don't know what your plans for the car are, but if you were planning on more power now would be a good time to upgrade to better heads if you can afford it. That's assuming the heads are your only issue
Old 12-15-2012, 01:10 PM   #14

I probably won't be able to upgrade this go around. I wish this happened later when I get my tax return. I'm planning on lower and upper intake with better heads but we'll see. I'd also like to take the 4.10's out and put in 3.73's
Old 12-15-2012, 01:27 PM   #15
Road Trip!

Im kind of in the same boat. I think next years tax return will get me my new heads. Why don't you like the 4.10s?
Old 12-15-2012, 01:37 PM   #16

I like them but I think they are just a little too high. I'd like a little more top end. 3.73's from what I heard is a good balance. I could be wrong and hate them if I do change.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:51 PM   #17
Road Trip!

I havent ran 4.10s but i wouldnt think you would really notice much difference going down to 3.73. If you are going to change them out i would go with 3.55s. Then you would see a difference in top end and still have good acceleration. Alot of the automatic guys like 4.10s. The manuals usually go with 3.55s or 3.73s
Old 12-15-2012, 07:35 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by keaton5.0 View Post
I havent ran 4.10s but i wouldnt think you would really notice much difference going down to 3.73. If you are going to change them out i would go with 3.55s. Then you would see a difference in top end and still have good acceleration. Alot of the automatic guys like 4.10s. The manuals usually go with 3.55s or 3.73s
I have 4.10s with a t-5. I like them a lot when driving in the city, but stop and go traffic is a pain. Highway accel is nice.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:00 PM   #19
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billymich

I have 4.10s with a t-5. I like them a lot when driving in the city, but stop and go traffic is a pain. Highway accel is nice.
Should get some pretty decent mpg's in the city if you drive normal, but thats pretty hard to do in a mustang lol
Old 12-19-2012, 06:22 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt90lx View Post
When I did mine I used zip lock bags and a sharpie to bag and label all the bolts as they came out, it helped a ton with reassembly. Put little notes if needed in the bag too, like the location of a shorter bolt so you aren't fishing around trying to find the right hole
+1. I used zip locks and a sharpie pen then taped bolts to like parts.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:03 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
Defiantly take your heads in to get them checked out. More often than not they warp. Most auto parts stores with a machine shop will inspect them for little or no money.
Also head bolts are also called stretch bolts. They are designed to stretch and only be used once. Make sure you buy new ones.
Skulls98GT is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT