Over reved - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-26-2012, 03:02 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Over reved

So recently I was laying some rubber in circular patterns on a parking lot for the good of the public (first time ever, yes seriously) and I looked down and realized my fox was at like 8k+ rpm Whats the highest these things rev to?? All stock internals. At the time this scared the **** out of me but the stang is doing well.
Billymich is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2012, 03:30 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Those are all recommended by the MFG limits. So exceeding those limits it could result in damage to the motor. The limits to which a engine will start to release internal parts are at a much higher RPM, but depending on the amount of miles on the engine and how well it's maintained will play a big role as to the integrity. So you really wouldn't know until you hear a rod go through the block.....lol
Old 12-26-2012, 04:08 PM   #3
Road Trip!

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billymich
So recently I was laying some rubber in circular patterns on a parking lot for the good of the public (first time ever, yes seriously) and I looked down and realized my fox was at like 8k+ rpm Whats the highest these things rev to?? All stock internals. At the time this scared the **** out of me but the stang is doing well.
I know the stock tachometers are known to be a little inaccurate, im not real sure how much tho
keaton5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2012, 04:18 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by keaton5.0 View Post
I know the stock tachometers are known to be a little inaccurate, im not real sure how much tho
Damn, dude all the stock gauges are crap aren't they? Anyone know if theres a fairly inexpensive way to replace, coolant temp, oil pressure, tach, etc ?
Old 12-26-2012, 04:22 PM   #5
Road Trip!

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billymich

Damn, dude all the stock gauges are crap aren't they? Anyone know if theres a fairly inexpensive way to replace, coolant temp, oil pressure, tach, etc ?
Im not sure how far off they tend to be but alot of people use a gauge pod on the driver side window pillar with 2 or 3 gauges. They usually run 50-60 bucks per gauge depending on brand and gauge type. Im thinking about mounting mine below my hvac controls
keaton5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:46 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
Yowsa that's a whole lotta right there. Baby the throttle, fluctuate it, dont hold it at any point for a long period
{Never Enough HP}
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:10 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Any trouble with it so far? 8grand sounds like a lot for a stock setup to me!! Lol
91notchback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:19 PM   #8

Region: North Carolina
stock everything including computer revlimiter is set @ 6250
89lx5.slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:50 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
When you over rev these motor i know from experience you can twist the oil pump rod and you will loose oil pressure and blow the motor... cheep insurance arp oil pump rod 14 bucks oh and i have gauges ill sell
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20121227_215006.png
Views:	120
Size:	290.9 KB
ID:	83082  
sam minnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:52 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam minnick View Post
When you over rev these motor i know from experience you can twist the oil pump rod and you will loose oil pressure and blow the motor... cheep insurance arp oil pump rod 14 bucks oh and i have gauges ill sell
What kind of gauges? Yeah its an all stock setup, no issues so far. Oh, and ive learned my lesson, did some donuts the next day, kept it under 5k
Old 12-29-2012, 02:55 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
The factory tachs are very inaccurate from what I've seen and the factory fuel cut is far under 8k rpms. Worst case on stock everything you may have floated some valves for a few seconds. I did the same thing one time in the rain doing donuts in a parking lot. I had traction one second then I hit a real wet spot (and I have slicks...which dont like water lol), so it quickly bounced off the rev limiter once and I let out of it. Still ran like a champ till the starter blew up and I pulled the motor for overhauling
1991 Mustang LX - Rebuilt 302, cobra 80mm MAF, 75mm Trickflow Throttle Body, Ported GT40 Intake manifold, half inch plenum spacer, Ported trickflow twisted wedge heads w/ trackheat valvesprings, Scorpion 1.6 Roller Rockers, stock cam (for now), 24# injectors, trickflow pushrods, shorty headers, H-pipe with 4 magnaflow high performance cats, flowmaster 40s w/ axle dumps, 4.11 gears, aluminum driveshaft, Built AOD w/ 2800 stall, 16" Cobra R replicas, 245/50ZR16 street slicks...hopefully procharger next
SmokedLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:08 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Tach is auto gage anf the oil and water is i think autmeter
sam minnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:22 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
On my set up which is all stock save for cam and beefier oil pump and shaft, it frequently rev it to 6500 on a sunpro tach. No problems, and the motor is screaming at that rpm. Now the stock tach gets pegged at that point so I never trust stock tach unless I'm babying it... Which I do alot

I chug syrup for money...
wc3john is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT