Auto to Manual - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-28-2012, 08:02 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Auto to Manual

What would it take to put a manual in my 1987 gt? What would be involved? What needs to be changed? Modified? Replaced? How long? The only reason I would do this is because I want a hurst shifter and they are more fun for a dd.
DerekJohnScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2012, 08:37 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
This is located in the sticky useful thread.

Aod to T5 swap
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:57 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
This is located in the sticky useful thread.

Aod to T5 swap
Thanks! And admin or mod can delete this now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2012, 09:04 PM   #4
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
I am a mod. But no reason to delete this. It may guide someone else to the same info or you may have a few questions when you read through it.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:06 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Why swap to T5? For probably about the same cost you can get a decent shift kit for your AOD and a 3000 stall and it will really liven it up!
1991 Mustang LX - Rebuilt 302, cobra 80mm MAF, 75mm Trickflow Throttle Body, Ported GT40 Intake manifold, half inch plenum spacer, Ported trickflow twisted wedge heads w/ trackheat valvesprings, Scorpion 1.6 Roller Rockers, stock cam (for now), 24# injectors, trickflow pushrods, shorty headers, H-pipe with 4 magnaflow high performance cats, flowmaster 40s w/ axle dumps, 4.11 gears, aluminum driveshaft, Built AOD w/ 2800 stall, 16" Cobra R replicas, 245/50ZR16 street slicks...hopefully procharger next
SmokedLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:02 PM   #6
Road Trip!

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokedLX
Why swap to T5? For probably about the same cost you can get a decent shift kit for your AOD and a 3000 stall and it will really liven it up!
Because its a mustang and should be a manual. There is no better feeling than banging gears thru town.
keaton5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:06 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by keaton5.0 View Post

Because its a mustang and should be a manual. There is no better feeling than banging gears thru town.
True..but manuals not for everyone, to say every mustang should be a manual is a bit extreme...but yes, nothing like a beautiful sunny day with the top down bangin gears around town
Old 12-29-2012, 04:18 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJstanger View Post

True..but manuals not for everyone, to say every mustang should be a manual is a bit extreme...but yes, nothing like a beautiful sunny day with the top down bangin gears around town
+10
TaylorF25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:20 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'll admit slamming gears is fun sometimes but I guess it depends on personality. I prefer having my T handle shifter just cruising around then when a light changes yellow on me, just simply put the pedal to the floor and the AOD slams down to second instantly with the shift kit then when you make it thru the yellow the speed camera snaps you for going 70mph thru the intersection
1991 Mustang LX - Rebuilt 302, cobra 80mm MAF, 75mm Trickflow Throttle Body, Ported GT40 Intake manifold, half inch plenum spacer, Ported trickflow twisted wedge heads w/ trackheat valvesprings, Scorpion 1.6 Roller Rockers, stock cam (for now), 24# injectors, trickflow pushrods, shorty headers, H-pipe with 4 magnaflow high performance cats, flowmaster 40s w/ axle dumps, 4.11 gears, aluminum driveshaft, Built AOD w/ 2800 stall, 16" Cobra R replicas, 245/50ZR16 street slicks...hopefully procharger next
Old 12-29-2012, 04:32 PM   #10
Road Trip!

Quote:

I'll admit slamming gears is fun sometimes but I guess it depends on personality. I prefer having my T handle shifter just cruising around then when a light changes yellow on me, just simply put the pedal to the floor and the AOD slams down to second instantly with the shift kit then when you make it thru the yellow the speed camera snaps you for going 70mph thru the intersection
Iv never driven an auto with a shift kit before and autos are definitely more consistent at the track but to me thats where the fun and the challenge is.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:35 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Iv never driven an auto with a shift kit before and autos are definitely more consistent at the track but to me thats where the fun and the challenge is.
Also depends on if you're building a track car or a daily driver. Its hard to drive a manual downtown while holding soda cups and fast food
Old 12-29-2012, 04:53 PM   #12
Road Trip!

Quote:

Also depends on if you're building a track car or a daily driver. Its hard to drive a manual downtown while holding soda cups and fast food
Lol especially since ford decided foxes didnt need cup holders!
Old 12-29-2012, 09:52 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Lol especially since ford decided foxes didnt need cup holders!
+1 and those cup holders you can buy that go into the ashtray are so damn expensive.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:57 PM   #14
Road Trip!

Well luckily for me the guy i bought my car from gave me one that goes in between the passenger seat and center console. Works pretty good but the E-Brake handle hits it
Old 12-29-2012, 11:07 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
where is a good place to buy a t5 tranny?

Low2v
Horseplay is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT