What all would i have to do to convert a 1979 ford mustang inline 6 to a 302 v8? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-17-2009, 09:45 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

What all would i have to do to convert a 1979 ford mustang inline 6 to a 302 v8?

The best thing to do is find a donor car from those years. I think the 79 to 1982 are pretty much the same. Your 79 is the first year for the new body style after the Mustang II thing. I had a 1982 Mercury Capri which was a Mustang body car and that had a V8 302 hipo. So find a Mustang V8 donor car one that maybe is wrecked or just in bad shape and use the cross members and drive line from that, this way you have all the same components needed to make the V6 to V8 swap. I have done this type of swap from a small blog to a big block in older Fords, it makes it a lot easier. You will still need to upgrade the suspension and brakes but the donor car can still have usable parts. I would check wrecking yards and look in your local paper for parts cars for sale. With time and patience it can be done.
comhghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2009, 09:50 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

What all would i have to do to convert a 1979 ford mustang inline 6 to a 302 v8?

i would keep the 6 good motor run forever with proper care blown all the 302s ive had
jar39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:10 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I thought the 79 was a V6. If not, consider this instead...
my uncle has been a hot rodder his whole life. He has had three cars featured in Hot Rod magazine over the past 30 years. His last was a 39 Ford business mans coupe with a WORKED 300 six cylinder. It is the biggest straight 6 they made. He put in 11.5 :1 pistons, a Clifford research cam with huge overlap and a tri-power carb setup with a progressive linkage on a manifold he made himself. That car made more torque than any 302 I ever drove. It was a monster. You might think about that and have a really cool sleeper on your hands.
Oh one more thing...the straight six with high compression and a true dual exhaust setup sounded like a P-51 Mustang when it started up...THAT was a cool sounding car.
breandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2009, 10:46 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

First rebuild the front end. Check all ball joints, tie rods. etc. You will have to replace the front springs with ones meant for a 302 and maybe the motor mounts,and driveshaft. other than that it's a pretty simple swap.
wakiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:18 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

If you're going to go through all the trouble of an engine swap the 302 is a fine motor.BUT did you know that a 4.6L from a 90's something Mustang will bolt right in? Most people don't know that and just assume the 4.6 is too wide.But it will fit,look awsome under the hood and it's not hard at all to do.I know a guy with a 79 pace car that did this with no problems.This applies to the single OHC 4.6 not the double OHC engine found in Mustang SVT's and Mercury Mauraders.If you decide to go with the 302 consider instead a 351W,you can make alot more power and still have the weight and convenience of a small block.
chankoowashtay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:19 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

You should have been asking this in the 70's...when everybody was customising!...try getting a welder to make the bits like engine mounts and other stuff!...oh yeh?...dont forget to inform you're insurance company!...they will love you!....
woolcott is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT