Fuel Tank Swap out for 1979 Mustang? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-17-2009, 11:00 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Fuel Tank Swap out for 1979 Mustang?

Hello everyone, as some of you probably know, the stock fuel tank Ford gave us on the 1979 mustang is WAY too small, a meager 47.9 Liters (About 13 gallons for those of you in America)

The stupid thing is, it's the same size tank they gave the 2.3 L in line 4 Turbo, an engine that most likely got a good 15 L/100km compared to the 302's 20-22L/100km, another stupid thing is that the 83, which had a SMALLER, MORE EFFICIENT engine, had close to a 60 liter tank! The size of my current tank is totally inadequate, at least by today's standards.

What I'm wondering is, if I got my hands on a used tank off of an '83, could I mate it to my '79? Has someone done this sort of thing before?
jeannot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2009, 11:08 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

79 , 80, 81, all use 10 and a half and 13 gallon tank. the floor pan is different on the newer cars. so you cannot use the 16 gallon . sorry you do have a full size spare tire and newer cars have that mini spare
twain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 12:06 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

You could always get a 20 gallon fuel cell from summit racing for 200 bucks and put in you trunk. Get an external fuel pump (aeromotive), bolt it under the trunk floor and run the fuel line up through the trunk floor. Thats what I did on my 69 mustang. People always look at me like wtf when Im refueling but it all depends on if you need trunk space, which I dont.
hristun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2009, 12:24 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

The bigger tank will probably bolt right in with no problems.BUT I wouldn't spend the money before getting up under your car and then the 83 and see if Ford didn't place something to the right or the left of the tank in your car that would make the swap impossible.While you're at it check infront and behind the tank as well.And remember if the 79 engine was carburated and the 83 fuel injected,that could make a difference and problem in getting a fuel sender unit to fit and work properly as the opennings in the two tanks might be different sizes.If you have the clearance then make sure your tank straps or the 83 tank straps will work.Finally make sure the fuel sender unit won't be a problem.If everything checks out,go for it.But look at everything very closely,sometimes even a small change can be a big problem.But chances are the cars are the same under there and Ford just upgraded with a bigger tank and so can you.Good Luck.
kieron is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Tags
1979 mustang