1979 mustang indy pace car.... help!? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-23-2009, 01:30 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

1979 mustang indy pace car.... help!?

I may be buying a 79 mustang indy pace car.. I was wondering how rare is the car? I know its got alot of rare options and it's got a 351 instead of the 302 it game with but with the car comes the 302 and many parts. the car is 3400 would you buy it? and why/
christophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2009, 02:11 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

hmmm. I guess its not too bad of a deal depending on condition and if there is supporting documentation to prove that it was actually a pace car. If not then you have a regular 79 mustang with a 351.
cheng-gong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 02:57 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

It is the first year of the Fox body so has a lot of support for it.. It's a great car and has a lot of possiblities..

It could be bought with the full lineup of engines and transmissions, they made a lot of them for the public, but only a few were actually used as pace cars and they are the real rare ones. They would have a souped up 302 or 351, maybe you got lucky and have one of those.. Have fun leaning about it at this website..

79IndyPaceCar.com
... 79 Pace Car Stats Jake's 79 Pace Car ... Welcome to the 79 Indy Pace Car Website. A world wide meeting spot for 1979 Mustang Indy Pace car Enthusiests. ...
http://www.79indypacecar.com
dagoberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2009, 03:53 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

My god friend had a worked one in the 80's. Silver with the multicolor ponies and Recaro seats. When you say rare what do you mean? If you think as a classic car forget it ,the motor swap alone cancels that out. Is it a stick or Automatic? I would NEVER buy an automatic. They don't put the same power to the ground and are much more to replace. How many miles does the car not the motor have on it? Have the motor compression tested no-matter what , it will tell you what sort of shape its in. Do you even know what that is? TRUST ME.....if you don't you may as well burn your money. Also I know gas has gone down ...but the are sure as hell are not cheap on gas? What will you use it for? They a rattle box's and the rust like crazy. Do you know how to drive stick... If you don't you DON'T want to learn on this car. My advice all depends on these questions. I need more info.... I sure don't think I would shell out that much cash but it depends on a lot. It may or may not post the question with much more info and I will see if I can help you more.
cormic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 04:24 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Hey! Nice going. I would make the investment. Out of 10,000 plus that were made only about 2000 of them have the original 302 block with automatic trans. That 351 is a rare option. This of course is an upgrade. But here is a question to you. Is the body okay! Even if it was not, I would consider making the investment and restore it. Make sure the documents are authentic. You would be the envy of many mustang enthusiast
kang29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 04:36 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Didn't the original 79 Indy pace car come with a turbo charged 4 banger?
dubv12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 04:55 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Look at the price, its not rare. Other than that, I dont know.
meinyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 05:39 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Hands down I would buy it...What are you waiting for !
jaye is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Tags
1979 mustang