how to go faster - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-01-2008, 05:15 PM   #1

Region: Illinois
Question how to go faster

ok so i have a stock 94 gt with 4.10 gears and a factory h-pipe, flowmaster tips ??

any suggestions wat to do
94gt5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2008, 05:24 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas
re: how to go faster

CAI, UD pullies, chip, tune

chip and tune will help you get the most out of your gears tho.

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 05:27 PM   #3

were can i get a chip at cause that is wat ive been hearing ?

and i also heard of aluminum heads but there exspensive lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2008, 06:58 PM   #4

wat is a cai ?
Old 06-01-2008, 09:37 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California

Quote:
wat is a cai ?
Cold Air Intake....MAC and BBK are some manufacturers. Your best bet with the chip is to go get a dyno tune, it will be the best because it is burned specifically for your car.
Scut95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 10:21 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama

I wouldn't tune a stock engine, you could run premium and bump the timing some yourself.

if you want to make a little more power and sound good at the same time, do headers and an H-pipe, possibly cat-less if you can.
cold air kits will net you no gain... unless you have enough mods to warrent a 4" setup, in this case no.

dont spend any serious money (dyno-tune or whatever) until you decide to get those expensive aluminum heads, also don't expect to really pickup any serious gains without doing the expensive aluminum heads or a blower. it can be done but by the time you spend all of the little money parts you might have as well bought the good stuff.

93 mustang notch
~450hp 331 stroker - Sold
silverstangboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 10:52 PM   #7

yeah i think i will just save up some money and get that good stuff lol

but right now my tranny is out so were just going to change it to a 5-speed hopefully it will get a little quicker???
Old 06-02-2008, 07:43 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Send a message via AIM to rwboring

yeah youll gain some power from a 5-speed... honestly with a 5.0 a computer prob isnt worth it... summit has some stuff for it though... from intakes to cams to heads... they actually have a 350 hp package that is i think around 3k that has the intake cam and heads together... thats over 50% increase
rwboring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 07:44 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

depending on how much you know (or can do yourself) a cam swap (with full exhaust and intake) would be my suggestion... cams for the pushrod motors are dirt cheap...
Old 06-02-2008, 08:30 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

Heads/Cam/Intakes (dont right) with a short block engine rebuild and you should be good to go engine wise.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 03:58 PM   #11

will a tranny from a 1994 or 95 f150 aode transmission work it had a 351 windsor motor in it and i was wanting to no if it would work with my 1994 mustang gt,302??
Old 06-02-2008, 07:45 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

a cam is the worst major mod for a stock engine that you can do, stay away from it until you get other parts first, then it will become benificial, I know tons of stock cammed N/A cars that are running 12's and faster. a big cube car is another story.

seriously tell us how much you want to spend, how fast you want to go, and we'll go from there. and yes, a t-5 will be an awsome upgrade from an auto.. you will be happy with that one

93 mustang notch
Old 06-02-2008, 11:08 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverstangboy View Post
a cam is the worst major mod for a stock engine that you can do, stay away from it until you get other parts first, then it will become benificial, I know tons of stock cammed N/A cars that are running 12's and faster. a big cube car is another story.

seriously tell us how much you want to spend, how fast you want to go, and we'll go from there. and yes, a t-5 will be an awsome upgrade from an auto.. you will be happy with that one
i dont agree in the slightest... maybe a 4.6 but not a 5.0... dollar for dollar its hard to beat (just dont go to radical where you have to change springs and such...) the cam is the heart of your engine it lets fuel in and out... the more lift... the more flow... easy as that
Old 06-03-2008, 03:58 PM   #14

i am wanting to spend maybe 500$ thats about all i have saved up any thing i can do for that ?
Old 06-03-2008, 08:06 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

id look for bolt ons... exhaust, udp... maybe gears but that install would be more...
Old 06-03-2008, 10:03 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

well im going to agree to disagree. with stock e7's you will gain very little with an OTS cam. probably not worth the time you'll take to re-measure pushrod length due to cam core base tolerances, adding more lift to heads that are already maxed out at .400" lift will acomplish nothing. installing a cam that will rev to 6,000 rpm with heads that run out of steam at 4,000 will also not do much for you, but it did kill out the operating range of the original cam. BTW a cam doesn't control how much fuel goes in and out, it does however control dynamic compression ratios, timing of intake/exhaust, duration of those events and how much scavaging takes place during overlap. it controls how fast and often a sonic wave runs across your intake to the trottlebody and the intake valve via knowledge of runner length and volume. it does so many things that I am only begining to understand myself, and anyone on the board that claims to be able to pick a cam based off of engine size and heads alone is either trying to sell you something or is a bigger fool than I. however if you do decide to go with some good heads, I know a good custom guy, he'll even pick the best OTS cam to suite your combo if thats the route your going to take, but personally besides a junker motor i will never build another one without going custom.

if you do a little research you will see there are guys going 11's with stock cams in street cars, faster than that via pure street, but thats another story all together.

93 mustang notch
Old 06-04-2008, 07:16 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
BTW a cam doesn't control how much fuel goes in and out, it does however control dynamic compression ratios, timing of intake/exhaust, duration of those events and how much scavaging takes place during overlap. it controls how fast and often a sonic wave runs across your intake to the trottlebody and the intake valve via knowledge of runner length and volume.

i dont think he is talking about making a 9 second drag car or even a 12 second street car... if he only has 500$ like i stated earlier then i would do some bolt ons... BUT the higher the lift on the came the more time the valve will be open...

but i don't see why a bolt up cam wouldnt add 20 or so hp... such as: Edelbrock.com - Ford Small Block Camshafts and Matching Components
Old 06-04-2008, 06:15 PM   #18

will a tranny from a 1994 f150 aode transmission work it had a 351 windsor motor in it and i was wanting to no if it would work with my 1994 mustang gt,
Old 06-04-2008, 08:49 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Send a message via Skype™ to noslow5ohh

heads, cam, intake then after blower!! go big thats what i say lol
noslow5ohh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 11:12 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
well im going to agree to disagree. with stock e7's you will gain very little with an OTS cam. probably not worth the time you'll take to re-measure pushrod length due to cam core base tolerances, adding more lift to heads that are already maxed out at .400" lift will acomplish nothing. installing a cam that will rev to 6,000 rpm with heads that run out of steam at 4,000 will also not do much for you, but it did kill out the operating range of the original cam. BTW a cam doesn't control how much fuel goes in and out, it does however control dynamic compression ratios, timing of intake/exhaust, duration of those events and how much scavaging takes place during overlap. it controls how fast and often a sonic wave runs across your intake to the trottlebody and the intake valve via knowledge of runner length and volume. it does so many things that I am only begining to understand myself, and anyone on the board that claims to be able to pick a cam based off of engine size and heads alone is either trying to sell you something or is a bigger fool than I. however if you do decide to go with some good heads, I know a good custom guy, he'll even pick the best OTS cam to suite your combo if thats the route your going to take, but personally besides a junker motor i will never build another one without going custom.

if you do a little research you will see there are guys going 11's with stock cams in street cars, faster than that via pure street, but thats another story all together.

are these sonic waves turbulant or laminar? i find this entire paragraph to be ludicrus... have you ever seen a wind tunnel?
Old 06-05-2008, 07:35 AM   #21
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwboring View Post
are these sonic waves turbulant or laminar? i find this entire paragraph to be ludicrus... have you ever seen a wind tunnel?
Mr. Negative strikes again But at least you don't hesitate to speak your mind because you nothing to lose.

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 02:49 PM   #22

haha im just going to get a cai and a chip. diablo chip actually is what im thinking about gettin ?
Old 06-08-2008, 12:07 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwboring View Post

nope never seen a wind tunnel, im not an engineer, and my terminology isn't always correct, for that I appoligize, this is a subject that I know enough about to be dangerous, but im damn sure not talking out of my ***. I would not lead a fellow mustanger down the wrong path, ever, even if it means I'd say I was wrong.
but i'd absolutely love for you to pick apart my paragraph, since its so "ludicrus"
this could be entertaining.

93 mustang notch
Old 01-14-2011, 01:43 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota

Quote:
I wouldn't tune a stock engine, you could run premium and bump the timing some yourself.

if you want to make a little more power and sound good at the same time, do headers and an H-pipe, possibly cat-less if you can.
cold air kits will net you no gain... unless you have enough mods to warrent a 4" setup, in this case no.

dont spend any serious money (dyno-tune or whatever) until you decide to get those expensive aluminum heads, also don't expect to really pickup any serious gains without doing the expensive aluminum heads or a blower. it can be done but by the time you spend all of the little money parts you might have as well bought the good stuff.
OR he could have got a kit adv the cam 4 or 6 degrees (got colder pluges with it!) and also adv the ign timing about 4 or 6 degrees and go to a higher octane! Cost under 100! Or also get a tune for an aggressive stock 'stang!

What you end up doing?
94 Mustang GT is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT