How much does it cost to replace the intake of a 1979 ford mustang? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-25-2009, 03:45 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

How much does it cost to replace the intake of a 1979 ford mustang?

also how difficult is it to replace it if i were to do it myself, and how would i replace it?
talmadge80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2009, 04:24 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

If it is a V8 first thing you wanna do is drain your antifreeze so that way when you pull the intake off it doesnt dump all the antifreeze down the oil ports also make sure you mark you distribtor and the wires so you know how it goes back on and plug off the hole it comes out off

Eazy way to remove your intake after you drain the radiator pull off top hose from raditor remove all hoses throttle lines from intake next take out the intake bolts dont worrie about the carb unless your replacing it if the intake is stuck on and all the bolts are out take a long but strong screwdriver NO PRYBAR!!!!! and try and dig it in btween the intake right at the front where the distribitor goes try prying it loose

After it pops loose slowly pull the intake out next take some rags and cover up the lifter valley take some paper towels stick them into the intake ports(so no old gasket gets down them) next you will have to scrape all the old gasket off the heads and on the front and rear of the motor where the intake seals I like using a angled dye grinder with sandpaper pads so much faster if not a razor blade and a fine grit sandpaper will work

After that if your using a new intake go over it a lil withe the sandpaper around the ports then wipe it down with some rubbing ac

Most gaskets sets come with cork gaskets to seal the front and back of the intake chuck em they never seal get some high temp black silicone and on the motor where the intake meets the front and back take the silicone along that ridge build up a pretty nice size wall front and back then put your gaskets on DONOT use anything to hold the intake gaskets inplace once it dries it can make a tiny air bubble and cause a leak

Set the intake back on top make sure everythings lined up before you drop it on let it set for about 30min so the silicone can dry a lil then bolt everything back up

Hope This helps my fingers are cramped now lol.......
luther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 05:03 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I'm assuming you have a V-8, so 'bout $180 or so for the intake and gaskets, In stock at my nearest AutoZone, a Saturday afternoon with a buddy, and a 12-Pack will get this job done. It's as simple as pulling off your carb, and old intake and replacing with the new part. This job is easy.
ranier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2009, 05:24 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

after you replace the intake pull all the spark plugs out and crank the motor for a few seconds in case any anti-freeze got into a cylinder then change the oil put the plugs in and go
auley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 06:10 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

you can do it its easy. it aint that expensive either
hartford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 06:17 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Too expensive man....get a stock 2nd hand one!!
raimondo is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT