Mustang Evolution Forum banner

What happens if you put the wrong key into a mustang?

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  rexley82 
#1 ·
Hi, I accidentally put my 1995 taurus key into my mustang 06, but I didn't turn it over because I realized it was the wrong one so took it out before.. Then I put in the mustang key and it worked just fine. I know you're thinking isn't that a good thing? But Im concerned it didn't do any damage. Like is there future ramifications of this?

#2 ·
Any Ford key will go all the way into your Mustang, but if the cut is different and there is an additional computer chip on it, then it just won't turn over. I don't think that something will eventually happen like the ignition being put on hold for a dealership approval, but obviously if the car turned over right away then you're alright.

It's also like trying to open a locked car door. The alarm definitely shouldn't go off after the first try since you, the owner, could be the one trying to get in, and you simply forgot to unlock it first. Engineers wouldn't do something to mess up your car if you make a mistake one time with the wrong key.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.