Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1979 351 Windsor Horsepower?

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Nevyn 
#1 ·
Does anyone know stock horsepower on this with a 4 barrell? I was told it came out of a car?

It now has a edelbrock 4 barrell carb, edelbrock (torker II) intake, mild cam, and headers. Any idea horsepower now? It sounds like the stock heads are limiting the HP. What are a set of decently priced good heads and how much power will they add? The motor is now in my 67 Mustang with a Worldclass T5 tranny.

#2 ·
My guesstimate would be 250hp now, at the most.Heres the problem. Before you waste money on this motor, remember its a LOW compression motor. You want power, you must A/ shave the crap outta those heads assuming your cam isnt too high lift, or B/ change those low compression pistons. Compression equals HP my friend. No matter what you do on the top end, your bottom end is the first problem. After a decent set of pistons are in, then look at some heads.... The cheapest fix would be a Nitrous system. This motor is a perfect candidate. But bottles run out quickly.

#3 ·
When working with any car manufactures engines ID the engine first.

On the block there will be a casting number.

order of info is"
Casting Number
year of manufacture
Engine type
displacement
Type of Vehicle it was installed in
Brand of Vehicle it was installed in
Special information for additional ID'ing of engine

Casting Number DF92
69-74 351W 5.8 H Ford, Mercury, 7/16" Holes In Head For P.S., W/O Smog, 8 Bolt Intake Manifold.

Casting Number DF41
75-78 351W 5.8 G,H Ford, Mercury, Studded Heads or Bolt Down Rockers, Smog heads.

Casting Number DF34
77-87 351W 5.8 H,G Ford, Mercury, Studded Heads or Bolt Down Rockers, 4BBL WO/HO, 6 Bolt Intake Manifold.

Casting Number DF15
77-87 351W 5.8 H,G Ford, Mercury, Truck & Van, 3 Bolt Holes For A.C. & P.S., Studded Heads or Bolt Down Rockers, Side Smog, NOTE: Side smog means aspirator tube comes out of the side of head. Necessary for vans with small engine compartments, 6 Bolt Intake Manifold.

Once you have ID's the casting of both the engine block and the Heads (the heads will have different numbers) you can then determine what the original horsepower rating of the engine was by phoning a Ford dealer and asking them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.