Trans am, Camaro, Mustang? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-10-2010, 07:30 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Trans am, Camaro, Mustang?

i have the choice of 3 cars, what should i buy? first one is the 95camaro with 117kmiles,has the v6 3.4 i think it is, for $2000 2nd one is 1970 Mustang (a friends, not sure which type yet but i know its not a mach and it is a coupe) with a 351 8kmiles since rebuilt engine for $6500. and last but certainly not least my brothers 1979 Trans am with fresh rebuilt 455 engine not sure brand but only 250miles on it, i would need to paint it wich i have a guy that will do for 1k plus the family discount $5750 for the car. hard choices ey
fahyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2010, 07:53 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

As a die-hard Pontiac F-car fan - I say go with the Mustang. The 69-70's were so nice Ford had to copy it to save the Mustang name. The Trans-Am is cool but with the 455 it's not original. We won't talk about the Camaro.
Kellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 08:31 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

take the mustang, yes it is a 39 year old car, but there were over 40,000 of each of those GM cars produced witch makes them lower on the collectible list. There are plenty of parts available for the mustang and goodmark and year one are reproducing parts for it from the original dies, and well when was the last time someone said Camaro or trans am without a reference to smokey and the bandit or Jim Rockford.?(Camaro used in the tv series rockford files)
milward is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2010, 08:50 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

i also say the trans am like the other guy said but he better not be mentionig v8 camaros then tht guy is a azzhole!
answr plz! bout my iroc http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...3023931AAxXJb3
maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 09:26 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

as much as i don't like Honda's i would rather drive those than any of the cars you just mentioned.
ioan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 09:36 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Obviously the 1979 Trans Am!

Don't know what that 455 came from but all 3 455s were chock full of awesome! (likely an Olds or Pontiac. pretty sure the F-body never came with a Buick V8 so that would take some fabrication. F-bodies came with 403 Olds occasionally)

Never mind the 7 mpg

Second would be the 70 Mustang. The 2nd most beautiful of the big bodied Mustangs. (1969 being the winner)
It's probably a 351C 2V (351 Cleveland 2 Barrel)
Decent engine. Don't expect to win many races vs the current Mustang GT...you won't. But it's got a good sound and feel and is a pleasure to drive.

Never mind the 11 mpg.

Let's just forget that this Camaro ever existed. First of all, a B16 Civic will walk away from you. Unacceptable.
The 3.4 has intake manifold problems that will allow coolant to mix in your oil which will transform your oil into what looks like 3 gallons of melted chocolate shake.
Then you will have a cracked head. Upon replacing the heads and intake manifold gasket, you will discover the catalyst has melted into a blob and is plugging your exhaust.....the interior is crappy etc...
I'm sure for about the same amount of money you could find a 2000-ish with a 3.8 if you really want a 4th gen Camarobird with a V6.
chadburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:04 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

95 Camaro V6 - Its a V6 ... why would you buy a V6 Camaro?!

70 Mustang (351W) - Now, assuming the engine is original and rebuilt, this is a VERY fun car. Just make sure the tranny and other items are in good shape. Sucks that its not a Mach or a Boss, but none the less a nice looking ride that will roast the rears.

79 Trans Am (455) - If it was me, hands down this car and ONLY this car. I am a muscle head so I am biased, but I can tell you that straight line speed with this is something else. That and this IS the Smokey and the Bandit car ... do you really need much more of a selling point?

95 Camaro V6 is a POS, 70 Mustang is fun, but it is a Ford and slightly less unique and a 79 Trans Am with a Smokey and the Bandit Paint Job and and the LARGEST standard Big Block Pontiac has EVER put into a car ... do the math ... the Trans Am wins in my eyes every time.
adron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:53 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

This depends on your wallet bud. If keeping gas in your car is going to be a issue the v6 camaro will be ok but it wont be any better than a well tuned and jetted sbc. Those 3.4l are known for valve train issues. The mustang, well I would never own one personally. They can be fun cars there small and cute. My camaro always walks right past them. The transam now your getting into another f-body catagory. The 455 will be a huge gas pig and you will never see fuel economy, you can have fun in it but nothing wild unless you have a 3.53 or lower posi in the rear end.
Go with the trans-am if you can afford the constant filling up and assuming its in good condition.
imported_darrell is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT