Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Poles on batter got hooked up wrong. What do I have to fix to make it run again?

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  hristun 
#1 ·
I have a 1979 mustang fox body, but something in the electrical is wrong because I hooked up the battery cables to the wrong poles on the battery. I have replaced the starter Solenoid and the fusible link that comes directly off of it, but the car still does not start. Does anybody have an idea as to what else could be wrong???

#2 ·
Ell I hate to tell you this, but just about anything that is electrical could and most likely is shot! Check, and replace all fuses to start with. But I bet you will need to replace all electrical parts on the car. Take the major ones in to your local Car parts place and have them checked out free. Like the Alt, coil, distributor, and such. Possible the Ignition, and fule injection system and such. ANythign that gets power is shot. Possible even teh battery got damaged.

Now you will also want to replace your terminal wires, and make sure to get a RED one for the positive side so that this does not happen again. As it is a costly mistake. Good luck with it. I have had many mustangs and I love them. 65 cpe, 68 FB 2+2, 85 sedan (ex cop car), & 95 svt cobra. I miss having a mustang, but as a single dad to 5 boys its just not practical. But at least I get to shoot a few of them in my line of work. Check out my website to see what I mean. Have a great one.

#5 ·
You might want to try re-posting this in the automotive section for more help and ideas, as not many people here will most likely be able to help you.

As for what might be wrong, hooking up the battery cables reversed can cause considerable damage, especially to electronic computer control modules (ECM). There may be other wires or circuits in the ignition system or elsewhere that may have been fried as well. Try following the power cables with a meter or voltage tester to make sure the power is getting through the wires to the various parts like the starter solenoid, fusible link, ECM, ignition switch, fuses, etc. Also check the fuses in the fuse boxes to make sure none were blown and check & reseat all the relay boxes to be sure that none of the spade connectors were damaged.

Best of luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.