How will an incorrect aspect ratio tire affect my car? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-11-2011, 05:00 AM   #1

How will an incorrect aspect ratio tire affect my car?

The stock specs for my car, 1984 mustang svo, call for 225/50/16 tires. I just saw that mine are actually 225/55/16.

I've calculated that my current tires result in a circumference that is 3.56% larger than stock specifications. Besides the obviously incorrect speedometer reading, how else will this affect me?

I figured slightly less horsepower, slightly better MPG, but I'm not sure at all.

Any tips?
Fferyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2011, 05:21 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

you're pretty dang close to right on your assumption. not so much loss of horse power rather loss of traction. but then again we're talking about 3/8ths of an inch by 2 1/2 to 4 inches long on one tire times four.
orlando67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 06:06 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Both specs you mention are 16 inch tires so how can the aspect range have changed.
Tires are made to fit rims of various diameters and your ones are 16 inches in Dia.
All the manufacturer has done is offer you tires that will fit your rims (16") and given
you a choice of wider fitting with low profile tires or wider fitting with high profile
tires.The difference between 225/50 and 225/55 is negligible.The 50 series tires
will give more grip than the 55s but the 55s will be a little more comfortable over
bumps and ruts in the road. You should try driving a car with 205/45/18. You can
feel every twig or ant you run over.
arlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2011, 07:03 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Since you have effectively changed your axle ratio to a taller one (fewer revs per mile), your car should accelerate more slowly (not likely noticeable "from the seat of your pants"). Your horsepower and torque output from your motor doesn't change, but torque is now multiplied less. You guess about better fuel economy (again, not noticeable except over a long period of time) should prove correct also. BTW, nice car - you have something that's quite rare nowadays.
sidney16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:58 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

probably it will affect the grip and traction not so much with the speed.
mather is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT