What would be the best ford tranny for a 302 on the drag strip? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-13-2011, 05:00 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

What would be the best ford tranny for a 302 on the drag strip?

OK so I'm looking for a new transmission, I have a 1983 mustang GT and this weekend my dad and Gpa will be helping on installing a 302 from a 1992 mustang GT and selling the 83. I want to use that money to buy the transmission. I'm also going for a new rear end for the drag strip and don't know too much on gear ratio. whats the best engine/tranny/rear combo? only 18 so if you have something to say then please say it. THANK YOU!!!!
ferrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2011, 05:51 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Depends on what you have now. If it is a stick car then get a T5 (rebuilt). If it is an auto car then for a 302 the C4 is you best/cheapest solution. You can get a TCI streetfighter C4 for about $900. Then you have torque converter etc to think about. Let me tell you from experience It is all about the total package. If the engines power band does not match the drivetrain configuration it will be a mess. If you are just installing the 5.0 in the 83 (I assume switching to carb) but leaving the engine stock (heads, cam, etc) and you are looking for a drag car set up. I would a C4 with about a 2400 rpm stall converter, and 3.73 gears. Run a dual plane intake and a vac secondary carb. If it is a stick car then same gears but if money allows then convert the T5 to a 2.95 first gear and run a double pumper carb. If you are modifying the engine then all this changes. Good luck
wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:59 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

i would really need to know what you plan on doing with the engine. stock, you could use an aod and keep it streetable with about 3.73 gears. if you are going to put down some serious power, go with a c6 and build the engine for high rpm. 4.56 gears would be good for that. you would lose almost all highway drivability though. let me know. jennatailya2010@yahoo.com you could also use a c4 if you want to forgo overdrive.

rate me best answer?
searbhreathach is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2011, 06:09 AM   #4

For a trans, it's hard to beat a Toploader, with out spending a ton.
yorath is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT