Mustang gt carbriator to fuel injection? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-13-2011, 06:00 AM   #1
Registered Member
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 28
Mustang gt carbriator to fuel injection?

i have a 1984 mustang gt 302 and a 1988 mustang gt 302, and the 88's motor is blown and i was gonna take the motor out of the 84 and put it in the 88 but i want to convert it to fuel injection. is this possible and what parts would i need?

bitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:47 AM   #2
Registered Member
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 29
Mustang gt carbriator to fuel injection?

Not really. The problem here is that you have a non-roller 1984 5.0L and you want to put it into a Mustang that came with a roller engine originally. The engines aren't exactly the same, notably the block, heads, and intakes, and you can't just put the heads, intake, and fuel injection system from the 1988 back in it using the 1984 bare block. They're not compatible. The 1988 roller engine has to have the heads and intake from a 1988-95 Mustang in order to work and you can't use the heads from the 1988 engine on the 1984 block. The 1988 fuel injection system requires the use of the newer heads and intake. You can't put the 1988 heads and intake on the 1984 block because it isn't a roller block. The lifter bosses are taller in the 1988 block to accommodate roller lifters(all 5.0L Mustangs from 1985-95 had roller engines) and the camshafts won't be compatible either(1984 cam was conventional and 1988 cam was roller). The 1988 heads had roller rockers and were redesigned for the fuel injection system.
You need a 1985-95 engine block which were roller blocks(1985 was carbureted but was still a roller block and 1986 still wasn't the fuel injection engine that the 1987-1995 used but at least the blocks were the same and compatible with the 1988 system). Take a used roller block from a 1986-95 Mustang and use everything off the 1988 engine including the heads and intake and all accessories and do the swap.
My suggestion is sell the 1984 GT if you don't like the older style because a lot of people do. If it's in drivable shape someone will buy it and if it's in good shape someone will pay a good amount for it. If you want to repair the 1988 Mustang then find a used roller block from 1985-95 and use all the parts that bolt onto the 1988 block. Of course it only makes financial sense to do this if the 1988 Mustang is rust free and has relatively low miles. Otherwise, you shouldn't bother.
law64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

» Like Us On Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities

Copyright 2002-2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

07:30 PM

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.