Would it be a bad idea to drive an untuned 347 1989 mustang gt for like an hour in a half or at all? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-13-2011, 10:00 AM   #1

Would it be a bad idea to drive an untuned 347 1989 mustang gt for like an hour in a half or at all?

Well depends... My moms van is a E-150 and it has not been tuned in Years and she drives it every day... soo I think if you are in that sort of situation, you will be fine. but if it has not been run in years and you are just now starting it up, then no do not drive it unless it is to a mechanic. and if you take care of the car and you still drive it when it has not been tunes in a long time, I think you will be fine!
Annson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2011, 10:45 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Would it be a bad idea to drive an untuned 347 1989 mustang gt for like an hour in a half or at all?

Stay out of the throttle and get tuned. If you have lots of cam timing in there, then it's going to go pig fat at idle and low rpm. This will wash oil film off the cylinder walls and kill the rings. If you have an adjustable pressure regulator, drop some pressure out of it to lean it down on the low speed side, but stay out of the throttle. But I am only assuming about cam and such as I don't know your parts combo.
Feel free to email me and I will straighten you out. I build these engines and make camshafts for them every single day of the week. Watch your lifter preload and you will gain lots of power and mileage.

Email: camshaftshaun@gmail.com
Berwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:49 AM   #3

ok let me put it to you like this... if you had a race horse and it was sick would you expect it to win a race? of course it wouldnt because your horse isnt at its peak. quick test drive is fine. but a stroker is a different animal to a e 150 van. tune it up, then watch the horse gallop!
Maureo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2011, 11:46 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Depends on your definition of "untuned", and the degree in which the engine is out of tune. At the very least, your gas mileage would suffer. You could, however, damage the oxygen sensor. And they are not cheap.
Bearach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:17 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I'm thinking the computer will go "full rich" depending on your camshaft. But "full rich" may not be rich enough to keep you from burning a piston if you still have the 19 lb/hr. stock injectors......
iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 01:01 PM   #6

NO....driving a BADLY untuned car can cause alot of expensive problems. get a tune up. it will save you money later.
waquini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 01:13 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

why would it be bad...?
jeremias is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Tags
1989 mustang