Ok... another question.? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-13-2011, 10:45 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Ok... another question.?

the 351 is in great conditions it just needs s little work like spark plugs, wires, oils, just the basic stuff... it runs great.!! and wen i took apart the 302 it already had been rebuilt, well at least that's what it looks like, the 351W is being sold to my by one of my good friends who is helping me restore my 1982 mustang gt.!! but he thinks that its better to put in the 351W but since i really dont know much about this stuff yet i dont know what to do. any advice any one??
rodel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2011, 11:35 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Ok... another question.?

I would go with the 351 there is no replacement for displacement! However, there a few things you need to keep in mind. First and foremost the 351 has a longer stroke(not larger pistons, both blocks have a 4.000 inch cylinder bore) than a 302 thus making it wider and taller. You have to use intakes made only for a 351w. 289/302, 351 cleveland and 351 modified intakes will NOT fit. Also, to put the 351 in your stang you need a fox body pan for it ford racing, canton, and mildon all make this style pan 302/5.0l oil pans will NOT fit. If you use 83-93 5.0l convertible motor mounts and the right intake/carb set-up you can get away with using the stock hood. Otherwise, you need an aftermarket fiberglass hood raised hood like a 2.5 inch or so cowl induction for example or cut a hole and use scoop. Hoods for your 82 are out there, but are harder to come by than the 83-86 and 87-93 foxbody style hoods. The bellhousing for the 351 and 302 are identical so you don't have worry about that. However if you go with the 351w I wouldn't recommend running a stock t-5, I would go with a c4 automatic or a tremec 5 speed. Then you need to get a set of 351w swap headers, various manufactures make these. Also, if you want to go with a Serpentine belt set-up and you want to go with power steering and air conditioning you'll need to buy swap brackets, I see these on ebay and I believe ford racing might still make them also(not 100% sure on that one though). If you go with a serpentine belt set-up 5.0l pulleys will swap over, and you'll need a reverse rotation water pump. The 351w is a stronger block than the 302. As stated before yes it is heavier, but it can handle more power through it. Also, I would upgrade the front brakes and suspension. Then I would definitely add some sub-frame connectors with either engine you go with. Hope this gives you some of the insight you were looking for. Not matter what set-up you go with good luck with it and have some fun with it when you get it running.
derry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:39 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Ok... another question.?

the 351is a heavier engine than the 302 is the 351 going to be hopped up? if so how much as you will have to add a lot of stuff to keep it from hopping when you get on it on the rear end plus may need to beef up the front springs. A acquaintance of mine had the 65 fastback with a rare ford 427 with the works he had a lot of problems he had to work out before it would go straight down the road, it would hop or spin out if he was not careful but it was one fast car for it's days. His kid had a 289 with duel quads and all the suspension beefed up and it was hard to keep it straight as well, he kept losing upper ball joints and we think it was From the weight difference he had.
eloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2011, 11:52 PM   #4

Ok... another question.?

the 351windsor and the 302 are similar engines except i think the 351 has bigger pistons which means more horses. i believe if it was me i would go with the 351 and it will also bolt up to your transmission just like the 302.
imported_Nikko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:47 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Ok... another question.?

Gregg here again, If that 302 has been rebuilt (confirm that though...), then I would grab it. The 302 is a bit lighter, and a bit of a smaller package to fit in your mustang (good choice). The 302 will make roughly the same power, that and parts will be easier to find for the 302 (even though the 351 is realllllllly easy to find parts for already). The 351 was a hot motor, no doubt, but there's a reason why the 302 was so renowned in the racing world. Those numbers collaboratively (3, 0, 2) make Chevy and Dodge owners run for their blankies. Both are good engines, take whichever you want or feel is best for your application. Both will serve you well and give you the power you want.
fairlay is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT