Converting front end on mustang? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-14-2011, 10:15 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Converting front end on mustang?

About how much would it cost to convert a 1979 cobra mustang to the 1987 and newer front end? I.E. the headlights.
westin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2011, 11:05 PM   #2

DO NOT DO THIS!!!! 1979 THROUGH 1986 "FOUR-EYED" MUSTANGS ARE GETTING RARER EVERYDAY! 1987 THROUGH 1993 MUSTANGS ARE "ME, TOO!" CARS (Hey, I got an aero Foxbody Mustang." "You do? ME, TOO!" I'll link all the four-eyed groups to this post to bash you for asking about this sacreligious act!
adair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:53 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

If you want an 87 or newer fron end car just sell the 79 Cobra (TRUST me there are people who would buy it) and just BUY an aero car. Then you get EFI, etc. It is so much cheaper and EASIER to buy the car you really want then tear one down, get in over your head, and sell the car for less then what you could get pre-teardown. No bashing, just an HONEST response.

You do NOT want to tear this car down to convert it.. TRUST ME!
Kermichil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2011, 12:08 AM   #4

Are you kidding me!? My first car was a 1991 'Aero' 'stang and I loved it to death. I would still have it if life hadn't come'a knockin, so I do understand WHY you like the aero look, but converting a pre '87 stang to aero is something that gets you punched by guys in the Mustang circles. Four eyed cars are aggressive looking and beautiful in their own right. I should know, I JUST traded for an '83 Capri RS. The guy lifted the door to his storage unit that we were getting parts from and my heart melted. I traded a car that I had put a bunch of money into for it. The short of the matter is, DON'T do it. There are enough guys like me that go ga ga for a four eyed lady that someone would buy that from you so you yourself can buy a later model (and FAR LESS rare) Mustang. It boils down to image vs. love of a great Fox chassis. I choose the love...
Iago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 12:53 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

To convert that car over to an aeronose is gonna cost you more time and money than it would to sell the car and buy another. I have a 79 cobra and would never think about doing that just due to how few are left in decent shape. If you want go to www.foureyedpride.com and learn about these cars before you do this.
eloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 01:39 AM   #6

Honestly, if you have a real 79 Cobra, the car is worth more to keep stock. Those are rare cars, and you could easily find a buyer for it, and get a newer Mustang if wanted.

On a side note, i have done the swap before, and it is best to get a doner car. Because you have to switch out the whole front end, including the hood. It also will require some mild wiring, and some drilling of mount holes.

Link to what your car should look like

birket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 02:06 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

The bottom line is you are going to spend time and money, to ruin this car. Not only will it be worth less to the 4 eye guys, but you will be a joke in the aero community as well. A car with an Aero front end, and a carb, is generally red flagged as garbage, regardless of the year (unless it's a drag car).

Aero's are a dime a dozen, find one you like, and offer to trade. You may be suprised that you could barter yourself into a nice 87-93 GT, or LX 5.0... and avoid the hassle altogether.

Just my .02
charly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 02:56 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Don't do it! Your gonna destroy a nice car! Sell it and buy an aero 87+
Its a lot less work too because that's a lot of work to do!
Join this forum and you will see a 4 eyed is way nicer and more unique than
the aero nose vb.foureyedpride.com
tiberio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 03:09 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Why would you want to? The style of front end that a 79 cobra has, its hands down the best looking fox body front end ever made....and this is coming from someone with a 93 Cobra sitting in the garage.
osweald is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT