Can i adjust my emergency brake on my 1983 mustang Gt? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-19-2011, 07:15 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Can i adjust my emergency brake on my 1983 mustang Gt?

I did the brakes in the back and i know i hooked everything up but my emergency brake is not working, and before it did work a little

And its drum brakes.
arrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2011, 07:30 PM   #2

Don't know about your particular car but most vehicles have a metal cable(s) running underneath from the rear drums to the emergency brake handle/pedal. The cable/s should have an adjuster on it to tighten or loosen it up. Once you locate it, it will be pretty self explanatory in itself. Maybe some bolts to loosen and then turn this bracket thingy. Adjust it and try it out, a kinda trail and error job.
conall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:45 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

The rear brake cable splits to two cables behind the front adjuster under the rear left passenger floorboard. That's where to tighten or loosten the adjustment. Are each of the rear cables loose inside the outer black plastic shield which covers a flat wound steel support ? On a car that old the rear oor forward emergency cable rusts and corrodes so it's not free to slide inside the outer shield. Disconnect the front to rear emergency brake connection. Figure out which cable (front or rear) is jammed and replace it.
Wren is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2011, 08:12 PM   #4

Did you adjust the pads so they were almost snug against the drums, if not then do so. Also the rear brakes self adjust each time the car is driven in reverse and then the brake is applied. However if you did adjust the pads to almost be snug against the drums then trying to adjust brake by going in reverse could be a long process. Hope this helps and best of luck in advance !!
Pommelraie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:36 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

can adjust rear brake more thats how e brake work when your adjusting rear brake thru slot on back of dust cover to where wheel is hard to spin with one hand e brake should work great then only a few cars able to adjust cable which is under car can look for that most likely wil just need to adjust rear brake more type into search box
how to adjust rear brake shoes
colton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:27 PM   #6

check the hand brake cable and its adjusting
Baldwin is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Tags
1983 mustang