Buying a 1991 Jeep Cherokee for $900, What "?'s" to ask the owner? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-19-2011, 08:00 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Buying a 1991 Jeep Cherokee for $900, What "?'s" to ask the owner?

I sold my 1991 Mustang 2.3 LX car to a guy for $900 only because the engine was broken and we had to sell it so we can use that money for another car. The guy told me & my dad if were interested in buying his White 1991 Jeep Cherokee car for the same price. He said it runs good and he will come by tomorrow and let me test drive it. If I buy it, then it would basically mean we traded cars then. Okay well what should I know about before buying this car? What Questions should I ask the Owner? I'm 19 years old and buying my first car to drive back and forth to college and home.....I dont want to regret anything here. This car came out the same year I was born LOL
camdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2011, 08:15 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

well for 900 bucks u aint gettin alot but it beats nothin check the milage and ask about mpg and see how clean the motor is and ask how long he had it and what it was drove for and how much he drove it and see if he knows anything about the previos owner good luck
templeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:30 PM   #3

if you going to look at it any way look at where the coil / leaf springs connect to the body and all the arms that connect the axels to the body if they look rotted out its junk
birket is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2011, 09:25 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

shape its in?
glendyn52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:24 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Check the wear on the tires. Never buy a vehicle that's got bald tires, unless you're looking for a project.
When you drive it, check that the brake pedal doesn't "pulse" or the vehicle doesn't shudder or squeak. Any of these signs would mean needing a brake job.
Check the mileage on the vehicle. A Jeep runs quite long, depending on how well maintained it is. If it is in good shape, I'd expect to see somewhere around 140-150,000 on a daily driver. This isn't a huge hold-up, but you should know that you're buying an older, used vehicle, and things are bound to go wrong eventually.
Also check the suspension. You don't want a vehicle with suspension rotting out from underneath it (HAZARD).
Make sure all of the turn signals, brake lights, headlights, and taillights work. (Not a huge deal if they don't, replacement bulbs are cheap. Just don't have your average-joe car-shop guy replace it. It's 4 screws, max. Taking it to the shop is incredibly overpriced.)
Finally, I'd just use your own judgement. Need always triumphs over the small things. So if there's a few bumps and bruises, who cares? It's a Jeep thing. All in all, the age won't matter, as long as it's sound when you buy it, and you maintain it well (oil, brakes, regular preventive maintenance), it'll live for many years to come.
gilmar is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT