Whats the best motor oil to use on my fox body mustang? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-20-2011, 11:15 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Whats the best motor oil to use on my fox body mustang?

I used to think it would be good to use Royal Purple for my 1991 Mustang GT. And I see that most ppl with muscle cars use it too but a few friends have told me that royal purple is not good oil. I dont remember the reason why but im not sure if its true. So im wondering for my next oil change if I should use that again or try something better. So whats the best oil for my car? And is royal purple a bad oil?
fnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2011, 11:55 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Redline and the lesser known Amsoil Signature(0W30 in your car's case) are generally regarded as also being of the best along with Royal Purple. Either way any full synthetic name brand oil will be fine for your ride. I've not heard any bad things about Royal Purple except of course for it's cost. Same goes with Redline and Amsoil.
There's not much bad you can say about any full synthetic oil for that matter though. Other than detergents and additives synthetics are the same basic petroleum product amongst themselves. As long as you get full synthetic oil instead of conventional oil then you are in good shape and giving your engine extra life. A $50 oil change is unnecessary when you can pay $30 and get the same protection and performance from Castrol Syntec or Mobil 1 or the like.
imported_driscoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:23 PM   #3

This may seem silly, but the truth is the best oil is what ever is on sale with an API service cert of SM. All oils are very good these days and with roller cam and fuel injection you don't need high dollar race oil. I have built many engines and maintain a fleet of cars and I personally like "Parts Master" oil found at Auto Value stores or Napa oil. They are made by Ashland oil (Valvoline). They are just in an ugly bottle instead of one that is paying for someone's race sponsorship. I can get full synthetic Parts Master for $3.59/qt. Is Mobile 1 or Amsoil better...yup, but worth the money unless you are running some 800hp exotic fueled engine under severe duty. Better yet spend the money on a good filter.
Channon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2011, 12:50 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

It all depends on your needs, new engine or high mileage? they have oils for every type engine, including diesels.. Synthetics aren't the best thing for high mileage engines, they are thin and won't help fill the worn clearances like a straight 30 wt will... you have a roller cam so you don't have to worry about getting oil with zinc like diesels use..

I like a anti-sludge like Castrol..
Nevada is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Tags
fox body