Im getting a 5 spd 1986 mustang gt, what would be some good performance upgrades for it? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-23-2011, 10:30 AM   #1

Im getting a 5 spd 1986 mustang gt, what would be some good performance upgrades for it?

what is it that people do to make them sound like a hot rod at idle? also what will changing the gear in the differential do? and what are some good upgrades, im not looking to build a drag car, i just want to have something a little quick on the road for cruising. ive never had a mustang before so i wanna learn more about the car im getting.thanks
Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2011, 11:12 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Im getting a 5 spd 1986 mustang gt, what would be some good performance upgrades for it?

Why don't you wait until you have the car before you start modifying it.

Have you checked on the cost of insurance? How about fuel mileage? By the time you finish paying for operating costs every month, you may not have anything left to spend on mods anyway!
akira4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 11:21 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

The 86 is the first year of the sequential fuel injection. It also has flat top piston with bigger combusion chambers (not the best head) also that version of FI does not like much cam (the lope at idle you talk of) with out getting pissy (rolling idle, etc) I would get it first shake it out to see what is worn out first before replacing good parts. But if it is a 5 spd, put a set of 3.55 gears in it and maybe some flowmaster 40s.(maybe a little loud) Make sure your timing is set good. Mabye a base of 11-12. Maybe replace or loose the cats if they are still there, Make sure the air intake silencer is removed from the inner fender. Don't go spending stupid money on things like cold air intakes or different shorty headers until you just get the base line solid and better rear gears. That may be enough for you. Have fun!!
Unai is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2011, 11:35 AM   #4

It should be an EFI injected 302. That is the same basic engine that they used through 1995. You need to change the cam to get that hot rod sound. You will have to see what works by calling the cam companies tech line. 1986 did not have Mass air flow so you can only do so much.
Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:05 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

if i remember they still used a carburetor then i would change the intake a holly 600 to 650 cfm carb
step up to a little bigger cam a set on headers if can afford it have the heads ported and polished
1100 to 2000 stall converter or stronger clutch and shift kit and a 3:55 gear in back
donnachadh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:44 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I would convert to mass air, exhaust and intake. Of you want to enjoy the car keep the stock cam or go mild with a better set of heads.
merlow26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Tags
1986 mustang