I Need Help....clutch/tranny advice - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-22-2008, 11:59 PM   #1
Region: Michigan
I Need Help....clutch/tranny advice

Hey all,
Im new to this and stumbled upon it searching through the internet trying to find out information regarding a clutch and tranny. I recently blew out the tranny and clutch on my 95 GT (manual trans), along with a few other very minor detail things, and now Im at the point of trying to figure out what would be the best thing for me to buy/rebuild in order to get it back on the road. I was wondering what you all thought....I have been told by a close mechanic friend that he can rebuild it for 550, but Ive also heard that rebuilding them T-5's is like pissing in the wind. Also, Im not really sure what kind of clutch I should go with. Im thinking a stage 2, since I havent really done anything to the engine (just bolt ons), but dont really know what would be the best one to get. I thought about a king cobra clutch, but dont really know if them are good or not???? Ive also thought about going with a different tranny, but dont know if it would take too much modification to make it work??? Im not really looking to make it a race car, just maybe slightly modified because Im strapped for cash and cant afford at the time to make it into one. Thanks all! Look forward to hearing what you have to say.

vinnie7009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 11:25 AM   #2
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Re: I Need Help....clutch/tranny advice

I don't know about the rebuild stuff, but I will comment on the clutch stuff.

I currently have a spec stage 3 in my car and I enjoy it. Light pedal effort...and grips nicely. It is good for around 600 ft/lbs of torque or so. I also have the rebuildable speck steel flywheel.

Now, I have burned through my spec 3 and have a spec 3+ sitting at home ready to go in this weekend. I am rebuilding the current flywheel with their replacement material...

The point is, I like the spec clutches. The pedal feel on them is nice and light. I would recommend the stage 2 to you...or the 2+...whichever you feel is in your budget. I would check out spec's website and have them "spec your car" and see which one fits your power range the best...

But all in all, you can't really go wrong with a spec clutch at all. And their flywheels are nice because they can be rebuilt instead of replaced, so down the road it saves money...like it is for me right now. $79 rebuild kit vs $200+ for a new flywheel.

"When I know more, I'll be forthcoming. Or I won't be forthcoming, and I'll be honestly deceptive." - Les Miles
PureVenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 12:19 PM   #3
Road Trip!
Region: Louisiana

spec 2 will be plenty for your combination, rebuilding a t5 is an option for you if your not going to build much more power, you could also look into a world class t-5.
SimplyOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 12:34 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

you have to get a pro to rebuild the transmission then its good to go... the reason people say dont rebuilt T-5's is they are getting them redone by retards who have no clue how to rebuild a transmission. My friend had to take a guy to court after his 4th attempt at it... and he wouldnt refund his money and blamed it on his "racing" when he never got to drive the car due to the transmission didnt work right... I personally would buy a new one and be done with it.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 09:59 PM   #5
Registered Member
Region: Alabama

T-5Z T-5Z T-5Z T-5Z yay!

93 mustang notch
~450hp 331 stroker - Sold
silverstangboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT