Vibration in gear shift at 3500 rpm - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-05-2013, 08:30 PM   #1

Region: Alabama
Vibration in gear shift at 3500 rpm

I need some help....I took my car on a road trip and ran a consistent 80to85mph for 5 hours and on the way home my gearshift starting vibrating and making noises. 3.73 gears are new within 2 years so I went in and had my drive shaft balanced (it wasn't off balance enough to warrant such vibration) so I took a transmission guy for a ride and he said it was definately a tranny issue. So knowing I had a blown head gasket also I decided to jump in with both feet and get it all done. Pulled tranny and the mechanic found input shaft and bearing needing to be replaced and all gears look great. Did a a motor rebuild and got my car back and it still vibrates at high RPM's. Can anyone add any input? Thinking flywheel needs balanced or harmonic balancer?
stockmandad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 06:26 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
my 94 was doing that in the past.it was 2 different things.
1 was the pinion bearing was bad on rearend
2 was my outputshaft bushing was shot in my t-5 and caused the slip yoke to wear out and then caused play
get under your car ansd where the yoke goes in try to push and wiggle up and down on the yoke to c if it has play.and also do it on your pinion right where the driveshaft bolts up to the rearend. u should find one of them to having to much play in it.well that fixed mine so i hope it leads u in the right directiion
Rob94gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:27 PM   #3

Car is at the local transmission house. He said that there is vibration at idle and when clutch is engaged. Took tranny out and took flywheel in to see if it is off balance along with the flexplate to the clutch. Pinion bearing is new and input shaft and bearing also new. Output shaft I asked him about and he says it all looks fine. Had new clutch put in and mechanic just scuffed up flywheel and did not resurface, hoping that is the issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2013, 06:11 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
yeah i hope u figure it out.
Rob94gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:04 AM   #5

Thanks and I will let you know.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT