Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Painting a hood at home??

1K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  The420fox 
#1 ·
I'm thinking of painting my hood on my fox and was wondering how hard this would be and what do I need to get a near professional grade finish? What type of compressor is needed? gravity sprayer? It's all new if your familiar please share your knowledge. I'm could pay for it done but think this way would be fun!

#2 ·
The amount you would have to spend on a compressor an air sander and paint. You could of just paid a body shop to do so. IMO if a quick fix go buy acetone and clear coat remover from autozone prime and sand until smooth, do not rush the painting process take 3 or 4 days if you use spray paint and use plenty of clear DO NOT RUSH and when done do not rush to put the hood on. YouTube will show you the process but remember a 10 minute video didn't take 10 minutes to paint

#6 ·
Yea I know I could pay for it done with how much i spend on equipment paint and i know it won't be professional grade my first time. I'm interested in seeing how it will comes out I don't think the stock hoods will have enough clearance but it would be a good practice piece. i have 2.5 cowl hood on there now.... I am only 20 I'm sure if I start messing around with painting now i should only get better. If I go threw with it ill be sure to post my experience and how much it ends up running me. my first time paint job should ? look better then how the hood looks now lol I'm feeling like the give a man a fish or teach a man to fish saying....

#7 ·
I started when I was 14-15 I am now 20 and it takes a lot over the years I started small and did the home work on it lol a lot of reading videos and trial and area it's deffinetly hard but if you stick with it it gets better I have been doing this professionally for about two years tho
And I understand doing it yer self but every one is right unless you plan on making a LEGIT hobby or profession the equipment let alone will not be worth it
If really wanting to do it on yer own if you take yer time with good some good paint and steady hands proper sealing and clear it will come out good not professional but good

#8 ·
I used to paint for a living. Painted boats at a factory for almost 10 years. Still love to do it on the side.

Two things. Your paint will only look as good as your body and prep work. The better your equipment is the less work you will have to do after the paint is dry. No painter is perfect and wet or color sanding and buffing is a must.

Take your time as previously stated. Also be super clean. You will never imagine the amount of crap floating in the air until you start spraying your clear.

Your air compressor is your biggest culprit for poor paint jobs. Condensation in the tank and lines cause spots. Any oil in the lines will cause "fish eyes" a bad regulator or a compressor that can't keep up is no good at all.

Have about 2 years of experience before you try and spray metallics. Also you will find some colors much easier to spray than others.

The biggest joke in the paint booth was never ever trust anything that comes out of a rattle can.

It is a very fun hobby and can make you some pretty nice cash if you get good at it. If you need any advice let me know. I'd be happy to help.

#14 ·
I was going to try to take some classes at the local Jc but those classes fill up fast and I have to wait for next semester but I'm probably going to start way before that happens got a couple junk cars at my property I might pull some body parts and paint those first lol get some practice in

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.