Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Should i change the fluids?

970 views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  The420fox 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I am buying an 87 mustang 5.0 convertible and it has been sitting for 2 or so years. I was wondering if I should change the tranny and rear end fluid? What do you guys recommend? I will be driving it ASAP for a long trip back to college about 200 miles. Thanks

#2 ·
Has it just set or has it been driven or run at all? If not then Yes i would recommend doing that before driving it to far. Also change oil and probably fuel filter. May have to drain gas n replace with fresh gas. Check coolant and replace if needed. It may even need a tune up. I would throughly check all from top to bottom n front to back before driving anywhere. :good, Good Luck!

#3 ·
It has been moved mostly just to get rid of the leaves underneath it but it used to be daily driven till it got put away to go to the body shop for some paint. It hasn't been moved much. I am definitely getting the oil changed and the fuel filter changed as well and will put injector cleaner in the tank with new high test gas. Anything else that I should do?

#4 ·
If it were me i would change tranny fluid asap. Make sure it runs good mechanically also. Im sure u wouldn't wanna be broke down in the middle of a 200 mile trip. Like i said before just go over everything. Don't forget power steering and brake fluid and check brakes and no dry rotten tires. If i think of summin else i will post again

#10 ·
Thanks. It made it home. Battery died but changed that today. Also changed rear end fluid. Changed the spark plugs and wires. Changing the valve cover gaskets now. Will finish them tomorrow. It's getting to cold haha. I got the car for 1500 cash. Got a shop to change the engine oil, tranny fluid, rear end fluid and the fuel free for 200 bucks.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Hood Sedan

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Coupé Sedan

#11 ·
Thanks. It made it home. Battery died but changed that today. Also changed rear end fluid. Changed the spark plugs and wires. Changing the valve cover gaskets now. Will finish them tomorrow. It's getting to cold haha. I got the car for 1500 cash. Got a shop to change the engine oil, tranny fluid, rear end fluid and the fuel free for 200 bucks.
1500 cash n it looks like that n runs too. U got a steal!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.