Changing Water Pump - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-04-2008, 06:28 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Changing Water Pump

Ok everyone as you know Im a noob with the Fords and Im getting ready to change the water pump on my 94 GT and would like to know how hard it is to change, looks pretty easy but would like to know if there is any tricks to changing it and if there is any thing else that would need inspected and or changed while I have it tore down. thanks for the help.
wvstang5.0ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2008, 11:51 AM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Re: Changing Water Pump

Its really simple to change the water pump. Drain the coolant, take the belt off, inspect your hoses(if they're bad replace them now), might as well do a thermostat as well and go after the water pump. I had to take my crank pully (for the belt) off to get at the pump in my car, take a look at your radiator while your in there and see how that looks as well. The bolts in the water pump have varying lengths so make sure you keep them in the proper holes aka the one it came out of. Once the pump is off clean your gasket surfaces really well, make sure the new pump matches up, run a bead of silicone around the water pump and reinstall. If you change your thermostat go for a 180 degree and use silicone with that gasket as well. Just a quick tip, losen the bolts for the water pump pulley before you take the belt off, if you don't it will spin freely and it's a pain to get them out.
Scut95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 12:02 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scut95 View Post
Its really simple to change the water pump. Drain the coolant, take the belt off, inspect your hoses(if they're bad replace them now), might as well do a thermostat as well and go after the water pump. I had to take my crank pully (for the belt) off to get at the pump in my car, take a look at your radiator while your in there and see how that looks as well. The bolts in the water pump have varying lengths so make sure you keep them in the proper holes aka the one it came out of. Once the pump is off clean your gasket surfaces really well, make sure the new pump matches up, run a bead of silicone around the water pump and reinstall. If you change your thermostat go for a 180 degree and use silicone with that gasket as well. Just a quick tip, losen the bolts for the water pump pulley before you take the belt off, if you don't it will spin freely and it's a pain to get them out.
Great thanks for the help, now just use silicone on the pump or is there a gasket as well, the radiator is new since the deer hitting repair so Im good there. I was thinking about going with a new stat to so the 180 degree is what I want?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2008, 10:55 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan

Fair warning.. You will most likely break a bolt or two off -- namely the two that run through the coolant jackets

I broke the one I circled when I was replacing the timing chain/cam

Had to drill/tap it, it was a PITA with the limited space, had to remove the condenser to get the drill in there, you'd have to at least remove the radiator

You won't be taking off the entire front cover, BUT you will be removing several bolts, including that one, that run through the cover into the block
Old 07-07-2008, 12:45 AM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Great thanks for the help, now just use silicone on the pump or is there a gasket as well, the radiator is new since the deer hitting repair so Im good there. I was thinking about going with a new stat to so the 180 degree is what I want?
sorry it took so long to respond, i was gone for the weekend......there is a gasket as well, so use the gasket and run a bead a silicone as well.....180 is the way to go, 160 is too cool for a fuel injected car......I guess i got lucky and didn't have any issuses with breaking bolts like Monte.....if it starts to feel tough to remove after a bit, just stop so you don't snap anything off and re-evaluate....i've been there and done that as well and it does suck
Scut95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 07:50 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Ok great guys thaks for the help. I'll let you know how my first 5.0 water pump change goes when I'm done.

thanks
Brandon
Old 07-07-2008, 07:07 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Well I want to thank everyone for there help, I went out and tackled this project today adn it went very smooth with no problems what so ever, I coulnt have asked it to go any better. So thanks again everyone for the help.

thanks
Brandon
Old 07-07-2008, 09:57 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvstang5.0ho View Post
Well I want to thank everyone for there help, I went out and tackled this project today adn it went very smooth with no problems what so ever, I coulnt have asked it to go any better. So thanks again everyone for the help.

thanks
Brandon
Good deal!!

May I say YOU SUCK!! (not really) for getting it all right the first time

my 89 fought every step of the way god I miss that car though
Old 07-07-2008, 10:28 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteCitan View Post
Good deal!!

May I say YOU SUCK!! (not really) for getting it all right the first time

my 89 fought every step of the way god I miss that car though
Thanks, You know I was really nervous going into this. This is the first Ford I have ever worked on, always been Chevy or Dodge. And I tell you what I was very pleased at how it went, now one thing, If I wasnt going to already be taking off the pulley's to install the UD pulley's I would have been pissed that I had to remove the crank pulley to get the bottom bolt out of the water pump but since it needed to come off anyway it wasnt that bad at all. Sorry yours was such a PITA hope the next one goes better for ya. Oh and thanks again for the help.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:45 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama

I know what you mean monte, I had a few of those bolts break, especially on the 3.8 cars.

93 mustang notch
~450hp 331 stroker - Sold
silverstangboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT