New member with questions. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-29-2013, 08:26 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
New member with questions.

So I just got my 87 gt last night... Been a Chevy guy for years and wanted to see the big deal and honestly love my fox body I picked up. As for the engine the previous owner added a bbk throttle body with bbk headers x pipe with two flow master super 40s and a set of turn downs. It also has a new k and n cold air intake new injectors brand new rebuilt 5 speed tranny with adjustable quadralink 3.73 posi swap big and littles cervini stalker front end with 6 piece projector clear case headlight assembly.

All I am looking to do is find out on a stock 302 as I'm assuming that's what it is ... What heads and cam can I drop in it as I have never messed with ford before. Also I'm looking for a good lowering kit as I don't like the stock ride height. And some info on what to do to maybe eliminate some of the wheel hop when I get on it a bit.

And lastly the cluster works but speedo is dead and doesn't read however car has only got a max of 86k on original engine. What cluster can I use and or what route would ya guys suggest.
WhiteKnightGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2013, 08:38 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnightGT View Post
So I just got my 87 gt last night... Been a Chevy guy for years and wanted to see the big deal and honestly love my fox body I picked up. As for the engine the previous owner added a bbk throttle body with bbk headers x pipe with two flow master super 40s and a set of turn downs. It also has a new k and n cold air intake new injectors brand new rebuilt 5 speed tranny with adjustable quadralink 3.73 posi swap big and littles cervini stalker front end with 6 piece projector clear case headlight assembly.

All I am looking to do is find out on a stock 302 as I'm assuming that's what it is ... What heads and cam can I drop in it as I have never messed with ford before. Also I'm looking for a good lowering kit as I don't like the stock ride height. And some info on what to do to maybe eliminate some of the wheel hop when I get on it a bit.

And lastly the cluster works but speedo is dead and doesn't read however car has only got a max of 86k on original engine. What cluster can I use and or what route would ya guys suggest.
The best thing you can do HCI wise is drop in a top end kit. The most popular is the trickflow. It will net gains of over 125hp. Edelbrock, holley and some others make some good top end kits also. Another good head is afr.

If you have bad wheel hop you can see if someone has removed the quad shock. It is located right behind the brake drum running horizontally. But A good set of lower control arms will fix any wheel hop. I use umi lift bars. Some people don't like them more street use, but I think that's people who haven't used them. They really make the car hook!! They are also formerly know as south side machine lift bars.

As for the speed it is probably an easy fix. Sometimes if the clip that holds the cable in place breaks, the cable will touch the header and burn up. Or the other more likely issue is the speedo gear stripped. This is located behind the speed sensor near the tailshaft on the tranny. The sensor comes out with one bolt. You can order the sensor from any major mustang parts dealer. Just know you wheel size and rear gear ratio before calling. It will cost around 20$ Oh yeah, it is possible the cable came out of the speedo but not likely. You can pull the cluster back far enough to verify if needed after pulling the screws that hold it in.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:39 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Subframe connectors will stiffen it up.
garbill2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2013, 08:48 PM   #4
Road Trip!

Congratulations on joining the good guys! Upgrading your rear control arms will get rid of your wheel hop. As far as heads, cam and intake goes it depends on your power goals. A gt40 intake and gt40 heads with a ford racing cam would take you to about 275-300hp at the flywheel and you could probably get them all fairly cheap. A trickflow top end kit will run you about $2500 but will make 300hp at the wheels. The first thing i would with a recently bought fox is basic maintenance if it needs anything, fuel filter, spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor, brakes. Also supporting mods for increased power, larger fuel pump, bigger injectors, ect.
keaton5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:01 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Car runs good with good maintenance just needed to get ideas in the range of what to do to the engine for a good bolt on power adder.

---------- Post added at 10:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 PM ----------

As per the hop ill look into control arms and I'm going to drop the whole car. Would like to find a kit where I can drop it 2 inches or maybe 2.5... You guys have any links to any good cheaper kits tryin to keep the springs around a descent price as I'm going to go ahead and freshen the entire engine up and repaint the driver fender and passenger door since there are 3 quarter sized dents in them.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:05 PM   #6
Road Trip!

Check out americanmuscle.com. They have all kinds of stuff for fox bodies im sure they have lowering kits.
keaton5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:50 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Eibach makes a nice kit. I think itd called the "pro kit". I have it and it lowered it nicely and the ride is still nice- not "lumber wagonish"
havhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:42 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I'd like to just get it closer to the ground it sits so high It looks goofy haha. I founded 2-3 inches and it'd be good. I'm thinking either gt40 or trick flow top end just going to price out each and see which route I can take.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:35 AM   #9
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnightGT
I'd like to just get it closer to the ground it sits so high It looks goofy haha. I founded 2-3 inches and it'd be good. I'm thinking either gt40 or trick flow top end just going to price out each and see which route I can take.
You can score the gt40 stuff off ford explorers in the junkyard cheap. But your prolly only gonna gain 25-30hp imo. With the trickflow it won't even feel like the same car. I run trickflow heads and they are amazing.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:28 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I'm looking to just gain a descent bit of power it's already had engine work done internally. The extent is unknown at moment which is why is like to look into some other heads top end and cam parts. Mainly though I want to lower it first and tune up win flush and oil change
Old 01-30-2013, 08:58 AM   #11

Region: West Virgina
If it is an 87 u will need to do a maf swap from speed density that's where I'm at now I have gt40p heads and intake off of an explorer but still running speed density so need to switch to maf before I can use them.
harryb5a4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:04 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
If your lookin, I got a explorer gt-40 upper and lower intake and bbk 65mm throttle body, egr spacer and intake spacer for sale. The intake is mildly ported and match ported to the throttle body. If you interested let me know.
havhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:38 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I'd be interested cell number is 5672047113 maybe we can chat about em see some pics etc
Old 01-30-2013, 03:55 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Im interested if he isnt. (708)502-1226.
Billymich is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT