Gathering Info.. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-12-2013, 08:23 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Gathering Info..

So it's been a while since I've dealt with Foxes, but a buddy of mine is looking to purchase an 82 with a four speed and a 302. He's wondering the differences in heads off of a 289, 302, or 351W when it comes to Combustion Chamber size. He's looking for higher compression. Any help with info or sources on that matter would be nice. He also asked about converting from a 4 lug rear to a 5 lug rear. This was one of my plans for my fox before i got rid of it and recommended he go the 5 lug route, but it's going to take him a while to save up for the spindles, brakes, and wheels... The last thing he asked about was if it was possible to swap in a world class T5 tranny in place of the 4 speed. I didn't know if it was and said it may have to be a T45 ?? I said that when i had my 93 i wanted a T56, but I didn't know if they still bolted up the same in the 82s.. Any help with all this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
NoStangNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2013, 12:24 AM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
The 289 have smallest chamber with the 351 being largest. I wouldn't use 351 heads because u would actually prolly lose hp because of that. If you want a factory type head look for a set of gt40 or gt40p heads.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:46 AM   #3
Road Trip!

Region: Ohio
Also 82 used an 7.5" rear end, swap it out for an 8.8" from an '85+ rear end if you can. The T5 with the t5 bellhousing will bolt right up to any 302, it may require a different cross member than the 4 speed but im not positive.
keaton5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2013, 02:35 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Just find a different car, they're easy to find and it sounds like he wants a completely different setup than the one he buying. My 2 cents
Billymich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:37 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Alright I appreciate all the info (except for saying to find a different car, that's not a solution at this point). I didn't know about the rear end, so that was very helpful. The T5 info is good to know, and if a different cross member is required, that's not too much of a problem. I kinda figured the 289 had the smallest cc but i just wanted to double check. Thanks!!
Old 02-13-2013, 08:16 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Update..

So the 82 was used at one point for racing and then afterwards the guy who has it said he basically just put a 302 and a 4 speed back into it. At this point, it may already have the 8.8" rear end in it, but we don't know yet. It has no headliner, and it has replacement seats out of an 01 GT. My question is, does anyone know from experience if the GT40 or GT40p heads will work with an Offenhauser intake manifold?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT