cam choice - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-12-2013, 11:16 PM   #1
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
cam choice

ok fellas, I am getting ready to install some new lifters. Apparently the stock ones didn't like 6500 rpm. . But I decide to go ahead and upgrade the old school b303 that I am currently runnugn.

Keep in mind during my choice I have scorpion 1.72 roller rockers and I refuse to not use them. They are some of the best on the market and are lifetime warrantied. I am running a wieand stealth intake. After much research that seemed to be the best intake for tfs heads for carbed setup.

I am thinking a stage one tfs cam. I would prefer to go with the strage 2 but not sure with my roller rocker if I have room or not. I do have tons of room right not with my b303 but that doesn't gurantee anything with a different cam. If I new for sure a stage 2 would fit I would get that one.

Then my last option is to get a custom ground cam. This would be my top choice. I am not to worried about paying an extra 100$ for a cam if it makes me a couple extra ponies. The question is, is there any good cam grinders that can beat out a tfs cam that is already designed for my heads? If so who is it? And do you guys know of any other cam guys? Hook me up with so top cam dudes and I will be on the phone tomorrow.

Thanks in advance for any imput. I really think I can do better than my b303
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-13-2013, 08:26 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Finchms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Georgia
Posts: 208
I have heard good things out of the anderson cams and i believe they do custom ground cams to. The tfs 2 and 1.72's is prolly gone be pushing the limits on ptv clearance. Just my 2 cents.
Finchms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:18 PM   #3
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
I have decided to go with an ed Curtis custom grind cam from flow tech induction. They cost about twice the price as most shelf cams but may as well.get what I want. They are suppose to be the best in the biz when it come to custom cams. They don't except phone calls due to high demand. But I have an email out. As soon as I get a reply I am pulling the trigger along with some new trickflow lifters.

Incase you guys haven't heard of them.
http://www.flowtechinduction.com/custom-camshafts/
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-13-2013, 04:32 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Finchms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Georgia
Posts: 208
Yeah i believe i heard of him on here before but my memory just ain't the greatest. Let us know what kinda specs u get on the cam. I sure like to know and definitely be helpful to all who look into a cam swap.
Finchms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:05 PM   #5
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finchms View Post
Yeah i believe i heard of him on here before but my memory just ain't the greatest. Let us know what kinda specs u get on the cam. I sure like to know and definitely be helpful to all who look into a cam swap.
For sure. He is suppose to be the best custom cam guy. Its gotta be better than the ol b303 that im running now. The only thing im not sure is how much better it can be than the tfs stage one cam that is designed for my heads. The way I look at it is I don't have the whole tfs top end so maybe I can still get a better cam. The custom grind is more than just designed for the top end like the tfs cam would be. But its designed for the whole car including trans, gears etc.

I am definitely excited to pull the trigger on this. As soon as I get a reply I am buying it. I think it may take a bit to receive it. They aren't even excepting phone calls right now because they are so busy, so it may take a bit. I wanna say its gonna be right under 400$ for the cam.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:46 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Finchms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Georgia
Posts: 208
Yeah thats a pretty price for just a cam but like u said its ground to exact mods u have now along with gears n trans u got. Im happy with my tfs 1 cam. Nice idle and sound and good performance. N i have the e-performer heads and they work great together. 2 grand and up it pulls hard. Good luck with it. Im sure you won't be disappointed.
Finchms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:48 PM   #7
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finchms View Post
Yeah thats a pretty price for just a cam but like u said its ground to exact mods u have now along with gears n trans u got. Im happy with my tfs 1 cam. Nice idle and sound and good performance. N i have the e-performer heads and they work great together. 2 grand and up it pulls hard. Good luck with it. Im sure you won't be disappointed.
I am also running out of mods to do, so spending a bit extra on something I want is no biggie.
thanks man. as soon as I find the specs I will let you guys know.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:08 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Finchms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Georgia
Posts: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post

I am also running out of mods to do, so spending a bit extra on something I want is no biggie.
thanks man. as soon as I find the specs I will let you guys know.
Ok cool. No problem
Finchms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:47 PM   #9
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Well, I filled out my cam form. Now I wait until they contact me. I also ordered trickflow lifters and the necessary gaskets for the job. So hopefully my custom cam will be here in a couple weeks. But I know they are swamped.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:29 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Finchms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Georgia
Posts: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
Well, I filled out my cam form. Now I wait until they contact me. I also ordered trickflow lifters and the necessary gaskets for the job. So hopefully my custom cam will be here in a couple weeks. But I know they are swamped.
Sooner than later is better sometimes. Lol it will be worth the wait regardless.
Finchms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:03 AM   #11
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finchms

Sooner than later is better sometimes. Lol it will be worth the wait regardless.
Yes it will. The questionnaire was a pita to fill out. It would be impossible without google. It wanted to know like every single dimension and spec for the motor,heads, exhaust, trans, etc etc. Stuff that most people don't know. Like why in the heck does deck height matter? Lol
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:25 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
Finchms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Georgia
Posts: 208
Lol. Yeah i would have never considered deck height as being a factor or a need to know. Lol i don't do custom ground cams either so i wouldn't know. Maybe its relevant.
Finchms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:38 AM   #13
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
That was just one of the wierd questions. When I get time later I will post the sheet they emailed me.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:16 PM   #14
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Here is the form I had to fill out minus my personal info. They send it to you in a word file and you just have to fill in the blanks. This is after I filled it out. If any of you guys ever plan on an ed Curtis (flowtech induction) custom grind I would suggest saving this info. It took me nearly an hour to scavenge all the info. Some of it will vary from motor to motor but this will definitely help.


Type of Camshaft Requested: Hydraulic Flat Tappet [] - Solid Flat Tappet [] - Hydraulic Roller [x] - Solid Roller []
Vehicle Make - Body Style: 1988 Ford Mustang GT convertible
Vehicle Weight With Driver: 3500
Goals and Usage: Show, Strip, light street (less than 500 miles a year)
Engine Details

Make of Engine: ford Windsor 5.0 Deck Height: 8.206 in
Cubic Inches: 306 Bore and Stroke: [ 4.030” ] x [ 3” ]
Compression: 9.1:1 Piston Type: cast
Rod Length: 5.090 stock Rod Type: stock
RPM Range Desired: 2500-6500
Cylinder Head Details

Manufacturer: trickflow Part Number: Trick Flow TFS-51400002
Ported or Stock: stock If ported, by whom:
Intake Valve Size: [2.02 ] Exhaust Valve Size: [ 1.6 ]
Intake Port Volume: [170cc ] Exhaust Port Volume: [ 66cc ]
Combustion Chamber Size: 61cc
Flow Figures (.100" through .700")
Intake Exhaust
.200 - -
.300 - -
.400 - -
.500 - -
.550 - -
.600 - -
.650 - -
.700 - -
Valve Spring Information

Manufacturer: trickflow Part Number: came with heads
Closed: [ ] Open: [ ] Rate: [ ]#/inch
Rocker Arm Ratio: 1.72 scorpion
Induction Details

Intake Manifold Type: wieand stealth Stock or Ported: gasket matched
Throttle Body - Carb Size: 670 cfm carb Stock or Ported: increased jet size by 7
Exhaust Details

Manifolds [ ] Shorty [x ] Mid-Length [ ] Long Tube [ ]
Primary Size: 1 5/8” Collector Size: 2 ½”
H or X-Pipe: off road H Exhaust System Diameter: 2 1/2
Type of Muffler: single chamber race Full Exhaust [ ] Dumps [x]
Transmission Details

Manual [x ] Clutch Type: king cobra disc type made from organic
Automatic [ ] Converter Stall:
Transmission Gear Ratios:
1st: 3.97 2nd: 2.34 3rd: 1.48 4th: 1.00 5th: .79 6th:
Drivetrain Details

Rear Gear Ratio: 3:73
Rear Tire Size: street-225/55/15 ..track-8”/27”15”
Diameter: Width:
Power Adder Type

Nitrous: HP Level:
Turbo: A/R:
Supercharger: CFM:
Previous Camshaft Manufacturer: ford racing b303
Specs Intake Exhaust
Lobe Lift: - -
Duration @ .006” - -
Duration @ .050” - -
Duration @ .200” - -
Lobe Separation: Intake Centerline:
Engine Management System:
Special Issues: I have brand new trickflow chromoly 6.70” pushrods and new 1.72 roller rockers. I need to keep these components. So I just wanted to keep that in mind for piston to valve clearance. Sorry if this is a dumb suggestion as you are the professional. I just wanted to clearify since I cant afford additional parts. I don’t drive the car often and am not worried about daily driving. I only drive it to local meets or shows. So I am not worried about how aggressive it is but would like to see the most hp possible with my setup.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:31 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
Finchms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Georgia
Posts: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
Here is the form I had to fill out minus my personal info. They send it to you in a word file and you just have to fill in the blanks. This is after I filled it out. If any of you guys ever plan on an ed Curtis (flowtech induction) custom grind I would suggest saving this info. It took me nearly an hour to scavenge all the info. Some of it will vary from motor to motor but this will definitely help.


Type of Camshaft Requested: Hydraulic Flat Tappet [] - Solid Flat Tappet [] - Hydraulic Roller [x] - Solid Roller []
Vehicle Make - Body Style: 1988 Ford Mustang GT convertible
Vehicle Weight With Driver: 3500
Goals and Usage: Show, Strip, light street (less than 500 miles a year)
Engine Details

Make of Engine: ford Windsor 5.0 Deck Height: 8.206 in
Cubic Inches: 306 Bore and Stroke: [ 4.030” ] x [ 3” ]
Compression: 9.1:1 Piston Type: cast
Rod Length: 5.090 stock Rod Type: stock
RPM Range Desired: 2500-6500
Cylinder Head Details

Manufacturer: trickflow Part Number: Trick Flow TFS-51400002
Ported or Stock: stock If ported, by whom:
Intake Valve Size: [2.02 ] Exhaust Valve Size: [ 1.6 ]
Intake Port Volume: [170cc ] Exhaust Port Volume: [ 66cc ]
Combustion Chamber Size: 61cc
Flow Figures (.100" through .700")
Intake Exhaust
.200 - -
.300 - -
.400 - -
.500 - -
.550 - -
.600 - -
.650 - -
.700 - -
Valve Spring Information

Manufacturer: trickflow Part Number: came with heads
Closed: [ ] Open: [ ] Rate: [ ]#/inch
Rocker Arm Ratio: 1.72 scorpion
Induction Details

Intake Manifold Type: wieand stealth Stock or Ported: gasket matched
Throttle Body - Carb Size: 670 cfm carb Stock or Ported: increased jet size by 7
Exhaust Details

Manifolds [ ] Shorty [x ] Mid-Length [ ] Long Tube [ ]
Primary Size: 1 5/8” Collector Size: 2 ½”
H or X-Pipe: off road H Exhaust System Diameter: 2 1/2
Type of Muffler: single chamber race Full Exhaust [ ] Dumps [x]
Transmission Details

Manual [x ] Clutch Type: king cobra disc type made from organic
Automatic [ ] Converter Stall:
Transmission Gear Ratios:
1st: 3.97 2nd: 2.34 3rd: 1.48 4th: 1.00 5th: .79 6th:
Drivetrain Details

Rear Gear Ratio: 3:73
Rear Tire Size: street-225/55/15 ..track-8”/27”15”
Diameter: Width:
Power Adder Type

Nitrous: HP Level:
Turbo: A/R:
Supercharger: CFM:
Previous Camshaft Manufacturer: ford racing b303
Specs Intake Exhaust
Lobe Lift: - -
Duration @ .006” - -
Duration @ .050” - -
Duration @ .200” - -
Lobe Separation: Intake Centerline:
Engine Management System:
Special Issues: I have brand new trickflow chromoly 6.70” pushrods and new 1.72 roller rockers. I need to keep these components. So I just wanted to keep that in mind for piston to valve clearance. Sorry if this is a dumb suggestion as you are the professional. I just wanted to clearify since I cant afford additional parts. I don’t drive the car often and am not worried about daily driving. I only drive it to local meets or shows. So I am not worried about how aggressive it is but would like to see the most hp possible with my setup.
Thats pretty in depth. Guess its ground to exact mods. Thats a plus. Appreciate the info. Maybe one day i can have one if the ole lady gives the ok. Lol she already says i got enough money in it.
Finchms is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Members Mustangs

"Rachel"

dinosoar

Mia

Vinny
Add your Mustang
» Like Us On Facebook



03:55 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.