Car just dies - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-13-2013, 08:48 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Car just dies

New problem. I was driving yesterday and on my way home my car just died completely. It coasted up the road a lil bit n then just picked back up n went on. Other than that it runs great. Any help is appreciated.
Finchms is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2013, 09:20 AM   #2
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
My 240sx used to do this on the highway once in awhile. It turned out to be the crankshaft position sensor.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:33 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks. If that is the case then it prolly be the pip in the distributor. If so ima change the whole distributor cause i wanna upgrade anyway. Any more input is welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2013, 11:41 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finchms View Post
Thanks. If that is the case then it prolly be the pip in the distributor. If so ima change the whole distributor cause i wanna upgrade anyway. Any more input is welcome.
You weren't on some sort of turn were you possibly close to empty on gas? My 91 GT did that on right turns and it turns out the baffles in the gas tank were broke off. Replaced the tank and no more problems.

Had a 95 GT that would die for no reason along straights. It ended up being the pick up coil in the distributer. Went through 3-5 (can't remember it's been awhile) remanufactured distributors before getting one that worked. Take the cap and rotor off and see if there are metal shavings down in there.
2011 GT Premium Black on Black, Eibach Sportline, Eibach Camber Bolts, BMRAdjustable Pan-hard bar, 19 x 9 Replica Boss 302 Laguna Seca, 275/35-19, GT/CSFront Fascia, C&L CAI, SCT SF3 w/ Bama Tune, Bassani Axle backs.
rick9550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:31 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick9550 View Post

You weren't on some sort of turn were you possibly close to empty on gas? My 91 GT did that on right turns and it turns out the baffles in the gas tank were broke off. Replaced the tank and no more problems.

Had a 95 GT that would die for no reason along straights. It ended up being the pick up coil in the distributer. Went through 3-5 (can't remember it's been awhile) remanufactured distributors before getting one that worked. Take the cap and rotor off and see if there are metal shavings down in there.
I was running strait down the road n hadn't been long got gas. I been wondering if that pick up coil was the culprit. Think ima save a couple dollars and put a msd distributor in. Thanks for the help yall.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:48 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Wires...!

2013 Ford Mustang SVT 20th Anniversary Cobra Shelby GT500. Stock, almost.
UOP Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:02 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
The bad pip will fry the TFI. And TFI's will go too. So if you're gonna do the pip do the TFI. Very common due to the heat that gets to the pip/TFI.... A quick and easy thing to watch, if the tach isn't bouncing while you're cranking it, thats the problem 99% of the time. No Crankshaft position sensor on Foxes. (If the avatar pic is what we're talking about)
etc1006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:56 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by etc1006 View Post
The bad pip will fry the TFI. And TFI's will go too. So if you're gonna do the pip do the TFI. Very common due to the heat that gets to the pip/TFI.... A quick and easy thing to watch, if the tach isn't bouncing while you're cranking it, thats the problem 99% of the time. No Crankshaft position sensor on Foxes. (If the avatar pic is what we're talking about)
Yeah its my 87 we're talking bout. I just recently replaced the tfi. It shut off again the other day and didn't wanna fire back up so i figured i switch it off at the key and restart it and when i turned it back on it started running again. Almost like it loses power somewhere in the key switch. I have recently replaced the ignition switch on the column but not the key switch. I hate electrical bugs.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:45 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Did you end up replacing the distributor? Still curious about the pick up coil...
2011 GT Premium Black on Black, Eibach Sportline, Eibach Camber Bolts, BMRAdjustable Pan-hard bar, 19 x 9 Replica Boss 302 Laguna Seca, 275/35-19, GT/CSFront Fascia, C&L CAI, SCT SF3 w/ Bama Tune, Bassani Axle backs.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:59 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Did you end up replacing the distributor? Still curious about the pick up coil...
Not yet. Money is a lil tight at the moment but i am gone look into different things today to see what i may can come up with. I will keep progress posted.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:15 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

When this happened to my 95 GT it just got worse over time. I ended up renting a scanning tool from AutoZone or Orielly's and when it would not start I just hooked up the tool, tried to start the car and it threw a code that pointed to the pickup coil. The engine light never actually came on because when it did start there were no actual errors. Only when it did not start would the scanning tool pick up an error code. I was able to just return the tool at no total cost, I just needed a credit card. Not sure if they do that anymore. The other thing you can do when it does not start and you are at home, take the cap and rotor off and blow some compressed air in there to clean it out. See if that works.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:26 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
When this happened to my 95 GT it just got worse over time. I ended up renting a scanning tool from AutoZone or Orielly's and when it would not start I just hooked up the tool, tried to start the car and it threw a code that pointed to the pickup coil. The engine light never actually came on because when it did start there were no actual errors. Only when it did not start would the scanning tool pick up an error code. I was able to just return the tool at no total cost, I just needed a credit card. Not sure if they do that anymore. The other thing you can do when it does not start and you are at home, take the cap and rotor off and blow some compressed air in there to clean it out. See if that works.
Thanks. I will try to clean it out. Ima see if throws any codes also. I just use a jumper wire and test light since i have obd 1.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:14 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

95s are obd1 as well I thought. Changed to obd2 in 96 with the 4.6 liter
Old 02-18-2013, 09:29 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I look on the net just now and it seems some 94-95 have obd 1 or obd 2. Confused
Old 02-18-2013, 11:28 AM   #15
Road Trip!

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finchms View Post
I look on the net just now and it seems some 94-95 have obd 1 or obd 2. Confused
All 94 are obd1. Some 95 vehicles, im guessing the ones built later in '95, had obd2 and all 96+ are obd2
keaton5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:09 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Cool.
Well i have been having a problem with cranking my car by key. I have replaced key lock cylinder, ignition switch, checked the neutral safety switch, and replaced the solenoid. It will crank and start by jumping the solenoid. I have tried to do a code read and it won't even start to run the test. I have checked things a few times over. I also wonder that this may have to do with it just shutting off going down the road. IM LOST AND GOING INSANE! ELECTRICAL SUCKS! All help is greatly appreciated. I hope some of yall have some insight on what this could be. Thanks!
Old 02-18-2013, 01:39 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by keaton5.0 View Post

All 94 are obd1. Some 95 vehicles, im guessing the ones built later in '95, had obd2 and all 96+ are obd2
Cool. I didn't know that.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:21 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

So i couldn't get any codes or anything and still can't figure out why it won't crank or start with key. I did have an extra computer laying round so i swapped em out just for the hell of it to see what happens. So i did and know i get the code test to run. It passed and this was after driving around a few minutes. I don't no if this will solve my issue of it just dying going down the road but i guess i will see. It didn't solve the problem with cranking by the key but i didn't figure it would know how. I know this is alot of info and random stuff but im doing my best at explaining it and trying to get this all right. Questions or comments and help is greatly appreciated.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:01 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Bump
Old 02-19-2013, 01:52 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Yeah dude idk, Take it to a good ford/mustang guy?? Good luck!
Billymich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:01 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billymich View Post
Yeah dude idk, Take it to a good ford/mustang guy?? Good luck!
I try to get any and every input from everywhere i can cause i really don't have it to pay for someone to fix it for me although that is nice in some cases. Its doing good for now just a couple bugs thats being a pita.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:14 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by UOP Shadow View Post
Wires...!
I agree, it's most likely electrical, do you have any loose wiring or wires that are soaked in oil or anything?

---------- Post added at 07:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:10 PM ----------

Could also be a bad ground somewhere, that could cause this problem. Check where you see grounds for good contact metal to metal.
Sgt_Syke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:19 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by keaton5.0 View Post

94-95 v6 cars were obd2, the GTs didn't go obd 2 till 96. The connections were there but they were dummy connections.

93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:23 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Region: Louisiana
I would be wary about trusting the new tfi. I went through several on my car before I got a good one and that was because I ordered off the Internet. It took three try's to get a good one for my stepfathers truck. There should be some test procedures for the tfi and pip in the useful info thread in the stickies. I would test them to at least eliminate them from the list of possibilities.

93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:11 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt_Syke View Post

I agree, it's most likely electrical, do you have any loose wiring or wires that are soaked in oil or anything?

---------- Post added at 07:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:10 PM ----------

Could also be a bad ground somewhere, that could cause this problem. Check where you see grounds for good contact metal to metal.
Thanks. I didn't see anything yet that looked bad but im not done. I got frustrated chasing that electrical bug and had to stop before i done summin stupid. Lol

---------- Post added at 07:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:08 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93slowstang View Post
I would be wary about trusting the new tfi. I went through several on my car before I got a good one and that was because I ordered off the Internet. It took three try's to get a good one for my stepfathers truck. There should be some test procedures for the tfi and pip in the useful info thread in the stickies. I would test them to at least eliminate them from the list of possibilities.
Ok thanks. I will check em.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:11 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Go to store this am. Car starts and idles to warm good. Bout 2 miles down the road it starts to bust up and run like crap. Backfires, sputters, and the tach is jumping round. I limped it back home thankfully. This sound like a bad pick up coil huh? Thanks yall.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:02 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

I check my ignition coil and by the haynes manual the resistance is to low so im heading to town to pick one up. I hope this solves at least one of my problems but maybe all. I will post the results after while
Old 02-20-2013, 08:03 AM   #28
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Tennessee
Awesome. Good luck.
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:44 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Got the new msd coil and she runs like a top. Runs even better than what it did before it started acting up. Time will tell if it cured the problem with it just dying going down the road. Just glad it fixed at least that.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:07 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
One thing at a time
Sgt_Syke is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT