Mustang Evolution Forum banner

vibration at 70mph

3K views 27 replies 8 participants last post by  nickcap 
#1 ·
Ok i have a god awful vibration when i reach 70 mph really its only between 70-85mph weather im accelerating or braking any ideas driveshaft is tight all looks good just can't figure it out but was told that if i go with a aluminum driveshaft should solve my issue was also told it could be because i pulled that big chunk of iron off the rearend when i did my gears

#10 ·
Im out of state, so I couldn't get the car lifted, but it feels like driveshaft, u-joint then the input for the rearend, There is somesort of D-ring style (not an actual d-ring ) bracket under the area just after the ujoint. Ill take another look when I have me some tools...

#11 ·
Oh you couldn't miss it its about the size of a small basket ball and weights something like 15-20lbs bolted to front of rearend if you don't have it that could be your problem just like me.

---------- Post added at 03:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:21 PM ----------

Or at least i was told that could be my problem

#13 ·
I would try the balancing on your tires first. If u jack up the back and run it with tires off ground n have someone just look at the driveshaft to see if it has any wooble or take it out n put a level on it and see if its bent like that. For the chunk of steel thats bolted to the front of the rearend, i have no problems out pf mine. I didn't put mine back on after gear swap but not to say thats not your problem.

#22 ·
Ok, at the moment my tools include a 355 piece socket/wrench set, two jackstands, a jack and an oil catch. I have a manual, my question is, should I take it to a shop to rent bay/lift time where they have techs and tools? I could also do it in my garage, if so what else will I need minimum? what else should I do while I have the trans pulled? I noticed oil coming from where the shifter goes in, also my rear main is leaking. should I try to rebuild my tranny while its out? How much would a shop charge to replace a throwout bearing alone? Thanks guys and sorry for commandeering this thread ^_^

#23 ·
Billymich said:
Ok, at the moment my tools include a 355 piece socket/wrench set, two jackstands, a jack and an oil catch. I have a manual, my question is, should I take it to a shop to rent bay/lift time where they have techs and tools? I could also do it in my garage, if so what else will I need minimum? what else should I do while I have the trans pulled? I noticed oil coming from where the shifter goes in, also my rear main is leaking. should I try to rebuild my tranny while its out? How much would a shop charge to replace a throwout bearing alone? Thanks guys and sorry for commandeering this thread ^_^
Pulling the trans is a pretty simple job. A long extension and swivel will help getting the top bolts out. But I would get the car as high as possible to make it easier. I usually hold up the tranny with a jack. Then I slide under it. I will put the tailshaft on the h pipe. Then slide it onto my chest, then the ground. Who needs a tranny jack eh?

One other thing to be aware of is it will leak fluid out of the tail shaft. You can by these little push in plugs at the auto store for a couple dollars. I usually just get a plastic bag and use electrical tape. Slide the bag over the tail and tape the snit out of it. I usually only loose a few drops this way.

If your clutch is old I would go ahead and upgrade. But I would at least change the tob and pilot bearing. If your flywheel is crystallized or gulled I would replace or get it resurfaced. I usually scuff it up with some Emory clothe.

#25 ·
I just got my tranny out today, What should I replace? The rubber at the back of the transmission is cracked whats that called? Also, i have 4.10 rears and I just bought a cheap O'rieleys clutch I am dead broke though, is that going to be ok?? At the moment I was going to replace my clutch, TOB, Pilot Bearing, some of the hardware (what would you recommend replacing ) and my engine side u-joints. What else should I do??

#27 ·
You should change the transmission mount. Rear seal on tranny pressure plate throw out bearing front joint get flywheel turned and clutch fork if needed those for sure that's what i changed when i did mine last month

---------- Post added at 07:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:58 AM ----------

And as for cheap clutch sometimes i recommend the cheap one because of application and person. Driving because what would you rather have the clutch slip or tranny explode

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.