Dyno cost? Tune cost? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-16-2013, 10:10 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
The420fox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: 707
Region: California
Posts: 135
Dyno cost? Tune cost?

Went to a shop they said 100 dollars for the dyno they said they can put in a chip and a custom tune for 600-700 about 100 more if its supercharged is that fair or a little steep I herd about 500 is an average cost but is that with or without the chip he said 4-500 I can get it chipped with a factory out of the box tune. So 300ish for a custom retune after its chipped. Do the prices seem fair? He said he mostly does stangs but is not all he does. Let me know what you think?
The420fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-16-2013, 10:14 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Fiveohfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: California
Posts: 149
Here in San Diego a guy charges 200 for a sct chip and 250 for the tune..
Fiveohfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:20 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
The420fox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: 707
Region: California
Posts: 135
Thanks yea I think ima get it dynoed see if they can do a better price on the tune I live in northern ca so it be a 9 hour drive to SD but I think I'd do it just to take a trip it would probably end up costing me the same lol
The420fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-16-2013, 11:24 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Fiveohfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: California
Posts: 149
Definately haha I drove from oceanside to Bakersfield and that was a nightmare I wouldn't do it man driving through la sucks
Fiveohfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:22 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
WhiteCobra94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by The420fox View Post
Went to a shop they said 100 dollars for the dyno they said they can put in a chip and a custom tune for 600-700 about 100 more if its supercharged is that fair or a little steep I herd about 500 is an average cost but is that with or without the chip he said 4-500 I can get it chipped with a factory out of the box tune. So 300ish for a custom retune after its chipped. Do the prices seem fair? He said he mostly does stangs but is not all he does. Let me know what you think?
I had mine tuned for $480

That was $200 for SCT chip and $280 for dyno tune!
WhiteCobra94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:32 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
The420fox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: 707
Region: California
Posts: 135
Ok so this guy is expensive then? Well at least his chiping will be expensive but his tune cost is relatively average.... I feel i can get a better price on the tune then maybe after I dyno it I can talk to them get a better price this place is called RPM in ROHNERT park Ca, its only a ten min drive from my house so its conveniently located but I'm not willing to pay 300 more then what is seeming normal maybe ill chip it myself and get it Tuned after
The420fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:02 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
WhiteCobra94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by The420fox View Post
Ok so this guy is expensive then? Well at least his chiping will be expensive but his tune cost is relatively average.... I feel i can get a better price on the tune then maybe after I dyno it I can talk to them get a better price this place is called RPM in ROHNERT park Ca, its only a ten min drive from my house so its conveniently located but I'm not willing to pay 300 more then what is seeming normal maybe ill chip it myself and get it Tuned after
You can buy the chip yourself too for $200 , then drop your car and chip off to the dyno shop
WhiteCobra94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:26 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
The420fox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: 707
Region: California
Posts: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCobra94 View Post

You can buy the chip yourself too for $200 , then drop your car and chip off to the dyno shop
Great idea thanks
The420fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:27 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
2300turboford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: london
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 2,903
With my megasquirt they charged me 500
__________________
"Racing is life ,anything before or after is just waiting "-the king of cool -Steve McQueen
2300turboford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:42 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
The420fox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: 707
Region: California
Posts: 135
Where is the cheapest place to find a chip Am has um for 270 any places cheaper you know about? Ill pay that no problem but just want to check
The420fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:11 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
The420fox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: 707
Region: California
Posts: 135
Or should i not worry about a tune because my car runs fine and just get the Anderson tuner its 1200-1300 after a couple retunes I'd have my cash back I'm thinking any one have any one have there favorite or know the most user friendly tuner?
The420fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:05 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
WhiteCobra94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by The420fox View Post
Or should i not worry about a tune because my car runs fine and just get the Anderson tuner its 1200-1300 after a couple retunes I'd have my cash back I'm thinking any one have any one have there favorite or know the most user friendly tuner?
Besides a chip the only hand held tuner for 5.0 pushrod motors is the Anderson PMS $980
WhiteCobra94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:48 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
The420fox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: 707
Region: California
Posts: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCobra94 View Post

Besides a chip the only hand held tuner for 5.0 pushrod motors is the Anderson PMS $980
I thought "moates" had a tuner spelling might be wrong and there was another one I can't think of the name but I want to go with the Anderson because that's the one my buddy told me I should go with and seems to be most used by other people
The420fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:31 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
98MUSTANG GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 220
Here in town our college has a dyno and every now and then they have what's called a dyno day and for 45$ you come put ur car on see what it runs and if other people are there they can bet on what it runs in hp and 1/4 and 1/8 but just something fun and 800$ sounds like a lot to me but i don't really know much about dynoing
__________________
GET SOME HAHA
98MUSTANG GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:50 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
rwsmith3623's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 134
I refuse to get my car tuned anywhere around where I live because everyone wants 5-600 just to throw it on the f'n dyno
rwsmith3623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:05 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
WhiteCobra94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsmith3623 View Post
I refuse to get my car tuned anywhere around where I live because everyone wants 5-600 just to throw it on the f'n dyno
Is that including the chip?

---------- Post added at 06:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:04 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98MUSTANG GT View Post
Here in town our college has a dyno and every now and then they have what's called a dyno day and for 45$ you come put ur car on see what it runs and if other people are there they can bet on what it runs in hp and 1/4 and 1/8 but just something fun and 800$ sounds like a lot to me but i don't really know much about dynoing
They have a few around here for a dyno day but they only do dyno pulls they don't tune it for you!
WhiteCobra94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:08 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
rwsmith3623's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 134
Nope. My car is already setup. They say the complications of the supercharger and meth injection on my car are why the price doubles. So I take it to a guy that builds prostreet motors for quite a few ford guys and get it done for usually around $350 depending on how many pulls I run. The thing that sucks is its about 4 hours away so I've gotta trailer my car there.
rwsmith3623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:10 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
The420fox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: 707
Region: California
Posts: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsmith3623 View Post
Nope. My car is already setup. They say the complications of the supercharger and meth injection on my car are why the price doubles. So I take it to a guy that builds prostreet motors for quite a few ford guys and get it done for usually around $350 depending on how many pulls I run. The thing that sucks is its about 4 hours away so I've gotta trailer my car there.
Yea that sucks it seems like if I want to get a cheaper job I got to travel a couple hours .... They try to get as much as possible at this shop I went to and there quotes for parts were double what they shoulda been I think it's my location in Sonoma county we got a lot of rich old guys with classics and super cars with all these wineries and amazing back roads leading threw them I don't think I'm going to find a cheap place near home to tune the college was a good idea for dyno tho..... you got yourself a good looking fox rwsmith
The420fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

« Headers | IAC »
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



06:54 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.