Coolant loss - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-24-2013, 02:28 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Coolant loss

I have been for about 1.5 months now been trying to diagnose a coolant loss. I am frankly at a loss...
It seems like coolant leaks when it wants to and at other times it doesn't.
I am pretty sure It is not ending up in a combustion chamber.
It seems like at times of non use coolant slow-leaks out of where the tubes meet the radiator (in and out)

Please let me know if you have any questions...
Billymich is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2013, 05:59 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Ohio
Heater core maybe? Is the carpet on the passenger side floor wet? Check the inlet and outlet hoses that go into the core for any leaks.
keaton5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:52 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by keaton5.0 View Post
Heater core maybe? Is the carpet on the passenger side floor wet? Check the inlet and outlet hoses that go into the core for any leaks.
No i've been checking for that, heat still works... though not very strongly, my core is a bit clogged, I tried clearing it (using lung power ) it didnt work very well. it definitely is very slowly leaking out the OUTlet on the radiator... but not when its running
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2013, 07:20 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Region: Massachusetts
Yeaa man kinda got the same problem sadly lol the car runs good but I loss coolant so if you end up find what the problem is let me know I was think of replace the whole radiator and all the hoses
Old 03-02-2013, 06:26 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Is it possible to lose coolant through the EGR spacer?? I recently took my top end apart and may not have put the throttle body to egr on correctly, I put some RTV on ever edge and around the stud holes then tightened it to an unknown torque with a 3/8 wrench. Also I can clearly see a slow leak were the silicone tube meets the radiator outlet... but not when its running... any thoughts guys?? tubes look fairly new/not worn or in need of replacement.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:15 PM   #6
Road Trip!

Region: Ohio
How long does it take to leak down to a level that you notice is low? If its leaking from the outlet there is obviously an issue there but it may not be the only one. Look around the water pump for any wet areas. The only things i can think of that would leak coolant without you seeing it leak would be the heater core, blown head gasket or its leaking from somewhere at higher rpms like when you are driving it.
keaton5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:24 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by keaton5.0 View Post
How long does it take to leak down to a level that you notice is low? If its leaking from the outlet there is obviously an issue there but it may not be the only one. Look around the water pump for any wet areas. The only things i can think of that would leak coolant without you seeing it leak would be the heater core, blown head gasket or its leaking from somewhere at higher rpms like when you are driving it.
It is really inconsistent, though so is my driving. sometimes 200 -300 miles. sometimes less. But when I drive it i check constantly. I have a wet area between intake and heads... but I dont think I have coolant getting into the combustion chambers (exhaust doesnt smell like it) I replaced my head gaskets roughly 4 months ago. heater core is clogged but not leaking.

The area thats "wet" looks more like oil and I noticed it when I replaced my lower intake with a used one that was not checked in any way other than visually during cleaning.

---------- Post added at 07:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:22 PM ----------

The amount of measurable coolant loss is small, maybe Ill drive from Milwaukee to chicago and the next day, Ill look in the overflow tank and its near the bottom when I left It may have been higher and after driving it is higher (but maybe not with expansion)
Old 03-02-2013, 10:38 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Region: Louisiana
It could be as simple as the radiator cap. Checked the gasket and spring pressure as well as the mating surface for it. Mine had that issue and it would only lose coolant after I **** the car off. New cap and radiator and no problems since.

93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:01 AM   #9
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93slowstang
It could be as simple as the radiator cap. Checked the gasket and spring pressure as well as the mating surface for it. Mine had that issue and it would only lose coolant after I **** the car off. New cap and radiator and no problems since.
your getting sensored for shut again. lol
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:03 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post

your getting sensored for shut again. lol
And I checked it before I sent it. Lol

93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT