starter motors keep going? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-26-2013, 08:13 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
starter motors keep going?

I bought my mustang back that I sold a month ago(I missed it too much haha) but my buddy who had it had to replace the starter that I put on in august. It was a brand new high torque mini starter for 11:1 compression and lower. The starter that was on it when I first bought it was on for only about 7 months. That's 3 starters within 2 years, what could cause them to keep slowing down and then not even fast enough to turn the motor over. Few people said if my compressions high then the starter might be having trouble turning the motor after a while. I was told the cr was 12.5:1 but everyone said it couldn't be if I was running 94 octane only.
93_347foxbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2013, 08:34 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
That comp # sounds pretty high, could be a bad ground or bad ground cable causing the the starters to burn up so fast.. Follow the wires and make sure the wires are in good shape..
Has there been any issues with the battery?
Old 02-26-2013, 08:39 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post
That comp # sounds pretty high, could be a bad ground or bad ground cable causing the the starters to burn up so fast.. Follow the wires and make sure the wires are in good shape..
Has there been any issues with the battery?
I replaced the whole ground wire when I put the 2nd starter on it. And the batterys fine ever since I fixed the electrical problems I had with the tail lights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2013, 08:52 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93_347foxbody View Post

I replaced the whole ground wire when I put the 2nd starter on it. And the batterys fine ever since I fixed the electrical problems I had with the tail lights.
That's odd..
Old 02-26-2013, 09:04 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

That's odd..
Yeah I know. My buddy who had it had no clue either. Is it possible my cr could be too high for the 11:1 limit?
Old 02-26-2013, 09:06 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93_347foxbody View Post

Yeah I know. My buddy who had it had no clue either. Is it possible my cr could be too high for the 11:1 limit?
Is your user name accurate, the 347 part? I see you are running a carbed set up too. Do you know the build specs etc if so?
Old 02-26-2013, 09:11 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Is your user name accurate, the 347 part? I see you are running a carbed set up too. Do you know the build specs etc if so?
I'm not 100% sure on every spec. I did get a chance to see the receipts and some pics of everything that was done to it when I sold it back to the guy but I know they're high compression pistons I don't remember the brand or anything. And the heads I thought were gt40s when I first bought the car but then couldn't find the gt stamp and they didn't have the bars. I found out they're heads that were bought from andy jensons machine shop. Again I'm not sure of the specs on those tho.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:24 AM   #8
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
You can do a co.expression test. If your less than 180 lbs you prolly have stock compression ratio.

Is your header collector leaking? Putting direct heat on the starter will kill it fast. Or bad wiring like dead said.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:44 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
You can do a co.expression test. If your less than 180 lbs you prolly have stock compression ratio.

Is your header collector leaking? Putting direct heat on the starter will kill it fast. Or bad wiring like dead said.
Didn't think about the collector leaking, also some headers are very close to the starter anyway good point dream
Old 02-27-2013, 02:02 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post

That could be it. My shortys are somewhat near there. And just wondering how do you do a cr test
Old 02-27-2013, 03:17 PM   #11
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93_347foxbody

That could be it. My shortys are somewhat near there. And just wondering how do you do a cr test
You can rent a compression tester from autozone. I have a heighbor freight one that didn't cost much. You need to get the car up to temp. The pull a spark plug. Then thread in the tester. Then just bump the starter afrs times and see what it says. Most 302s will pull around 150ish give or take. A high compression motor will have more, but I don't know exactly. And this isn lt super accurate but may give you an idea if you have a high com ratio or not.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT