Gt40p explorer questions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-06-2013, 10:18 AM   #1
Registered User
Newbie
 
harryb5a4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Region: West Virgina
Posts: 16
Gt40p explorer questions

So my neighbor wrecked his 98 5.0 explorer. He is selling the parts for cheap. I already have an Explorer motor complete sitting in my garage so I don't need that. I was wondering I have heard that those rear ends came with 3.55 3.73 or 4.10 gears. Does anyone know if that rear end would fit in my 88 gt. it has the original 2.73 in it.
harryb5a4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-06-2013, 10:36 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Outlawmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Effort
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb5a4 View Post
So my neighbor wrecked his 98 5.0 explorer. He is selling the parts for cheap. I already have an Explorer motor complete sitting in my garage so I don't need that. I was wondering I have heard that those rear ends came with 3.55 3.73 or 4.10 gears. Does anyone know if that rear end would fit in my 88 gt. it has the original 2.73 in it.
The explorer rear axle swap is big in the jeep world. The gears will fit because its an 8.8. Most likely has 3.73 gears. There should be a tag on the diff cover that says. Or jack up the rear and spin the tire one complete turn and count how many times the driveshaft turns. Exp I tire to 4 driveshaft is 4.10
Outlawmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:20 PM   #3
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
I don't believe you can use the whole rear end though. I --> think its wider. That would make the tires stick out limiting tire sizes.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-06-2013, 07:45 PM   #4
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Ohio
Posts: 422
I believe the spring/shock perches will be in the wrong spots and the differential i think is also off set.
keaton5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:12 PM   #5
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
The only things good are the carrier and can probably use the.driver side axle for a 5 lug conversion but would still have to get another. That is if its the right year?
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:31 PM   #6
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Ohio
Posts: 422
I know people do that with ranger axles but idk about explorers. The explorer should have 31 spline axles i think. It would be worth getting the differential and gears and then buy some good 31 spline axles.
keaton5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:33 PM   #7
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by keaton5.0
I know people do that with ranger axles but idk about explorers. The explorer should have 31 spline axles i think. It would be worth getting the differential and gears and then buy some good 31 spline axles.
Yeah. I have only heard of rangers also. But I thought explorers were basically rangers drivetrain wise?
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:58 PM   #8
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Ohio
Posts: 422
The only difference i know of is the 31 splines on the explorers, which is probably why people use ranger axles. Other than the 5.0 and all wheel drive on some exploders they are the same. FX4 package rangers came with 8.8" 31 spines and 4.10s tho.
keaton5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:23 PM   #9
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by keaton5.0 View Post
The only difference i know of is the 31 splines on the explorers, which is probably why people use ranger axles. Other than the 5.0 and all wheel drive on some exploders they are the same. FX4 package rangers came with 8.8" 31 spines and 4.10s tho.
Cool. I currently own a ranger and an explorer. lol But the explorer is an 04. I really like the fx4 package to.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

« advice!!! | Newb »
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



06:12 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.