Battery keeps dying - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-07-2013, 10:22 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Battery keeps dying

Have a 86 gt just bought a new alternator and went through 3 battery's in te past 2 weeks. Can't seem to figure it out need any help ASAP
Nwg20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2013, 10:23 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Hows your alternator?
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:25 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Less then a week old
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2013, 11:27 PM   #4
Road Trip!

Region: Ohio
Assuming you didnt get a bad alternator. Do you have under drive pulleys? They can, almost always, cause charging issues with the 5.0s. If not then you have something getting power when its not supposed to. Did you just buy the car?
keaton5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:44 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
When you say "went through 3 battery's" do you mean they where flat and needed to be recharged, or something else?
DerekJohnScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:56 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Seems to have stock pulleys and I can drive on a good batter for 2 or 3 days be4 it's completely dead again. Wen jumped after its dead rite after you take the jumpers off the voltage meter drops fast and then the car will die unless I keep throttle

---------- Post added at 12:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:56 AM ----------

The smog was bypassed with a smaller belt
Old 03-08-2013, 12:17 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwg20 View Post
Seems to have stock pulleys and I can drive on a good batter for 2 or 3 days be4 it's completely dead again. Wen jumped after its dead rite after you take the jumpers off the voltage meter drops fast and then the car will die unless I keep throttle

---------- Post added at 12:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:56 AM ----------

The smog was bypassed with a smaller belt

Hey dude i had the same problem,bought new alternator and still had problems.Returned the alternator with a new one and bingo problem solved.Even if you have a new alternator sometimes they screw up and its still fooked.Hope this helps
93GTVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:36 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Ill give it a try an see wat happens. One of te plugs for the alternator the bigger one, one of the clips is broke off but the other still clips in and hold fine. I just néed a quick fix bad cuz we have no other car
Old 03-08-2013, 12:45 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwg20 View Post
Ill give it a try an see wat happens. One of te plugs for the alternator the bigger one, one of the clips is broke off but the other still clips in and hold fine. I just néed a quick fix bad cuz we have no other car

lts your alternator bro hands down.(i better not look like an *** if im wrong)
Old 03-08-2013, 12:49 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Alright man ill give it shot tomorrow, but I really won't be able to tell for a few days. Wen I get another new one if I was to take the battery cable off an it dies like a bad alt does but know fer sure it's good, wat could cause this?
Old 03-08-2013, 01:06 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

You said one of your clips was busted.You may not be getting proper contact.If your really unsure take it to a shop and tell them to run a test on it im sure they wouldnt charge you.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:21 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

It's just the lil part on the outside of it that slides over the plastic clip. Kinda hard to explain but it hold in there nice an snug
Old 03-08-2013, 11:19 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
If I wasnt sure if it was the alternator, after starting the car, I would disconnect the positive battery terminal. If the car died, then it would be a bad alternator. If it keeps running the problem is elsewhere.

***resident gun idiot***
Roguestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:19 PM   #14
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Even if it isn't the wire with the broken clip it could still the wiring. When the car is running put a multimeter on the battery cables. If the alternator is working right you see 14.5 volts give or take .2 volts. If its less than that then your not charging. Then after you tested the battery side, test the terminal on the alternator. This will tell you if your wiring is the problem.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:49 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
Even if it isn't the wire with the broken clip it could still the wiring. When the car is running put a multimeter on the battery cables. If the alternator is working right you see 14.5 volts give or take .2 volts. If its less than that then your not charging. Then after you tested the battery side, test the terminal on the alternator. This will tell you if your wiring is the problem.
^^^^^^^^^^^^
Exactly what he said.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:38 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I've tried everything and my battery only lasted a week. Completely dead. And idk wat else to do with it
Old 03-17-2013, 01:56 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Have you tried changing to another battery, I had same problem once, tested my battery at autozone 3 times and recharged it, they said it was good. Took it to the dealer and told me my battery was bad, didn't believe them and for curiosity I bought a brand new battery from the dealer with 4 year replacement warranty and then it was fix. No more dead battery after a few days. Sometimes when they test the battery it shows as good but in reality it's bad.
Jayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:25 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

You might have a parasitic drain. Try checking your fuses and see if any of the are drawing to much lower when the car is off.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:14 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Well I got a blue top 6 pack battery an my volt gauge is around half now. But my battery light on the dash came on an says amp
Old 03-20-2013, 02:50 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Have you checked to see if any of the fuses are being power when the key is off?
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:14 AM   #21
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
What type of alternator are you buying? If you're paying 40 to 60 bucks for a rebuilt one, that can be your problem. There are many cheap rebuilds out there. If you can get a refund without having to trade it for another, do that, and try another parts store, and think about buying new over a rebuilt one.

At this point, I'd take it to a local garage and have the charging system checked out. Either it's the rebuilt alternators, or you have a drain on the system, or a wiring problem. The fact that the voltage guage shows half means the battery is not getting charged, and the vehicles electronics are draining it. Check the wiring to the alternator. Any "green" on the copper indicates faulty wiring, and should be replaced; all of it, not just a cut and splice of the bad parts. Check for a fusible link faulty wire. The starter and alternator do not have fuses, but instead use a fusible link wire that will burn "open" when a short in that part of the system exists.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:42 PM   #22

another point to look at besides the parasitic draw is the starter if it is pulling upwards of 200+ amps at start it will kill the battery just trying to start it.
battery starter and alt is the holy trinity of the car if one is bad it will take out the other two. go to a local parts house and have them check the starter its free and an easy way to see if that is the problem.

to check the parasitic draw disconnect the negative battery cable get a multi meter set to amps.
put the positive lead of the meter on the cable and the negitive lead of the meter on the battery post. if your pulling more than half an amp you have a parasitic draw.

hope this helps
nightmare04gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:47 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
If you think your clips aren't making good contact buy some dielectric grease and put it on the terminals, careful to not let it overlap between them, might help and its probably like 2-3 dollars.
Billymich is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT