Tire issues - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-08-2013, 06:56 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Tire issues

Ok guys I apologize ahead of time for writing so many new threads. I figured the best repair manual is in this forum by people who own the same csr as me! My new issue seems to be tire issues on the front. When I bought new tires nearly 2 yrs ago I had it aligned too. However, I noticed while under the front end both front tires are nearly bald on the 'inner' or 'inside' part of the tire. If it was aligned properly why would this happen?
mustangmania91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2013, 08:08 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
alignment can change even the moment you leave the shop..all depends on road conditions and how it drives. most likely you're out of alignment again

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:07 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
+1 inside tire wear is caused by bad camber adjustment or bad toe adjustment.
havhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2013, 09:25 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I had two places say they aligned my car and I was good to go and I still burned through two sets of tires. Pretty much lasted a year each set just like you said. In all honesty, on a fox body if you lower it the stock adjustment is never enough. it may be within spec when on a rack, but once you get on a rutted/grooved road or starting going through the twisty's, the steering gets way out of whack.

My old foxbody would pull like a mother on some roads and drive fine on others so it really depends on where you are as to how the steering is being affected. I would absolutely suggest caster/cambler plates or at least camber plates. I had never even heard of camber plates only, but the last place I brought my fox body to get it aligned suggested them to properly align it and it solved the issue. It still pulled on rutted roads but I never burned up a set of tires again.

You may also want to look at bump steer kits. I know that when you lower a fox body the steering arms can get out of whack and are at an odd angle which can cause them to be easily influenced by the road. The bump steer kit gets them back to the stock angles and can dramatically improve the situation.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:26 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Is the car lowered because that would effect your camber if you didn't install adjustable camber plates?
stevec666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:35 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
If the car is lowered, you have to get caster/camber plates to get enough adjustment to get it back into specs. Also you can get around the bump steer kit by installing offset rack bushings on a lowered fox.
havhammer is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT